Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
dodgy speed
05-01-2013, 01:19 AM
dodgy speed
Hi can some one help please

When I first got LBO I had a few teething problems but they got me on 34/4 and was very stable.

After a few months the speed got worse and worse till it dropped to 10meg they sorted this out again but only got to 25meg they claimed it was impossible even though I had 34 for a good few months, at the moment with the zyxel im getting just short of 20/4

I borrowed an Openreach modem off my friend @ash45 to check the status page and got a surprise the speed has dropped again down 11meg and attainable is only saying 18meg which kinda coincides with the zyxel sync but as said I did have 34 for months so I thought the OR modem would of given an attainable of round about that ive attached a few print screens of both modems can anyone help me

Thanks Harry

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
RE: dodgy speed
(05-01-2013 01:19 AM)Haz Wrote:  Hi can some one help please

When I first got LBO I had a few teething problems but they got me on 34/4 and was very stable.

After a few months the speed got worse and worse till it dropped to 10meg they sorted this out again but only got to 25meg they claimed it was impossible even though I had 34 for a good few months, at the moment with the zyxel im getting just short of 20/4

I borrowed an Openreach modem off my friend @ash45 to check the status page and got a surprise the speed has dropped again down 11meg and attainable is only saying 18meg which kinda coincides with the zyxel sync but as said I did have 34 for months so I thought the OR modem would of given an attainable of round about that ive attached a few print screens of both modems can anyone help me

Thanks Harry

I can see your problem straight away

the number of CRC, FEC and HEC errors being reported, which would suggest a fault on your line.

You may get the odd few errors, but should not get that many - see my attachment below

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
(05-01-2013 12:38 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 01:19 AM)Haz Wrote:  Hi can some one help please

Thanks Harry

I can see your problem straight away

the number of CRC, FEC and HEC errors being reported, which would suggest a fault on your line.

You may get the odd few errors, but should not get that many - see my attachment below

Thanks for the reply what would you suggest I do about getting this sorted, just to clarify the phone works perfect no noise or disturbance or anything so a line fault had not occurred to me,
LBO seam very un-interested in doing anything about anything there fix seams to be to just keep lowering the speed and TBF im approaching the speed I used to get from sky adsl (10-11meg) but paying 3.5x more

Thing is I do have 1 big barrier and that’s my dad if it turns out id need a visit from OR to check the line hell never agree (phones in his name BB in mine) (he don't think anything can go wrong with BT's lines lol, Also he thinks dial-ups still more than enough (he don’t realise BBC iplayer would not run on dial up very well) so basically if I turn round and say the speeds naffed and needs a visit hed just say B***X nothing wrong with it no ones coming.

Thanks again for suggestions though

Harry
05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Have you ruled out all of your own internal equipment and wiring?

i.e. tested with the modem connected into the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket. If the connection still appears to be poor at that point then leave the equipment connected into the test socket and get in contact with your ISP who should be able to get Thales to run an extended line check (24/48 hours) to check for any line problems.
05-01-2013, 09:48 PM
if it is not your internal cabling and equipment then the fault will be between you and the cabinet, it could even be a faulty DSLAM in the cabinet causing you the problems.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
05-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Have you tried doing a 'quiet test' on your line,dial 17070,option 2

Also as already stated,connect your router directly into the BT master socket,and if it has a test socket behind the faceplate then plug into that.BT(or any isp) will ask you to do that to rule out any fault with any internal wiring/extensions,which are your responsibbility

Phil.
05-01-2013, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 02:39 PM by SpencerUk.)
@Haz

Welcome. I agree with @Mirdragon in respect to erroring. CRC errors are not important (just saying Interleaving is doing what it's supposed to do) but the HEC errors are a little extreme. As @bgnx stated, change out filter, connect the Openreach modem directly to test socket and lets have another look at it. Rule out the Internal wiring. I suspect the rates won't go up, but we need to see if over 24hrs the errors are still present or not. Don't know if NOC still does this but then can you put onto specific profiling so no matter what you do, your sync rates won't go over a certain point. Kind of like BT and their banding (which is a nightmare may I add!)

Just out of interest, is there any reason @littlebigone is dismissing your issue?, have they said?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2013, 04:38 AM
Hi guys thanks again for the replays i don't have a test socket its one of the old GOP sockets (very old i know) we do have an extension but its one of those none removable ones it was fitted in the 80s both lines come out of one of those little master boxes you cant even get inside it, its that old the screws more like a nail, i have tried a quiet test with 17070 option 2 on both lines without the filters plugged in and also replaced the filters (been at this a while now so have tried most things lol)

And @SpencerUk i dont know why but after a few times trying to get it back up to the 34 i originally had for 6 months, i got the the usual we will get this escalated and ring back they eventually just said there's nothing we can do its impossible to get you over 25 but in reality i haven't even seen over 20 since my speed naffed up they also seam to ignore the fact i did have 34 for about 6 months again with the answer that's impossible theres nothing more we can do,

Im thinking if i dont manage to get my speed back up that im just going to switch to origin and go onto there 24/10 and save my self some money but even then im tied to LBO till at least September so i would prefer to try get it working like it used to lol we dont have OR fibre in hoyland common either so its digital region or ADSL.

hope this makes sense

Thanks again for any replys
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
(06-01-2013 04:38 AM)Haz Wrote:  @SpencerUk i dont know why but after a few times trying to get it back up to the 34 i originally had for 6 months, i got the the usual we will get this escalated and ring back they eventually just said there's nothing we can do its impossible to get you over 25 but in reality i haven't even seen over 20 since my speed naffed up they also seam to ignore the fact i did have 34 for about 6 months again with the answer that's impossible theres nothing more we can do,

This is my exact experiance with dealing with this kind of issue with LBO. I not sure if they dont have the knowledge or the will to help but as soon as you mention getting BT involved th barriers go up and your told you getting as good as you can get even when you have had months of stable sync at a higher rate.

I wont be paying the premium for this kind of service as soon as my contract is up as their are now plenty of other fibre providers doing so for a lot less than the costs of DR.

Ultimatley this is why DR is likely to fail.......but thats a different post all together.
08-01-2013, 11:06 AM
(08-01-2013 10:59 AM)bobo_uk Wrote:  
(06-01-2013 04:38 AM)Haz Wrote:  @SpencerUk i dont know why but after a few times trying to get it back up to the 34 i originally had for 6 months, i got the the usual we will get this escalated and ring back they eventually just said there's nothing we can do its impossible to get you over 25 but in reality i haven't even seen over 20 since my speed naffed up they also seam to ignore the fact i did have 34 for about 6 months again with the answer that's impossible theres nothing more we can do,

This is my exact experiance with dealing with this kind of issue with LBO. I not sure if they dont have the knowledge or the will to help but as soon as you mention getting BT involved th barriers go up and your told you getting as good as you can get even when you have had months of stable sync at a higher rate.

I wont be paying the premium for this kind of service as soon as my contract is up as their are now plenty of other fibre providers doing so for a lot less than the costs of DR.

Ultimatley this is why DR is likely to fail.......but thats a different post all together.

I totally agree TBF I only have the DRN or ADSL though so for fibre I only have the one option really bit of a pain as the arrears around me seams to have OR fibre and/or VM but my exchange is not even on the upgrades list yet lol as you say its quite a premium my friend pays £19.99 for up to 80meg (gets 70) with plusnet, were as we are paying £25 for up to 40 and seam to be getting a weaker service

Harry
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)