Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
JD's Auto Speed Tester / logger / grapher
22-02-2012, 10:04 AM
RE: JD's Auto Speed Tester / logger / grapher
(22-02-2012 09:57 AM)aceado Wrote:  @jackdinn all i did was install the new version over the old one and ticked allow uploading again and the speed for the upload and download is abit right as its not a 1 set thing am sure others can comment again this. you ur pic might be an idea to let the end use pick between anyone of the 4 that there is

@aceado

What you need to understand is that me and jack do not even currently have ADSL2 connections let alone fiber to test these changes out on. This means that without people to test and give good feedback we can improve the application for you.

If you've seen the other thread in this forum section i've started you'd help alot by doing these tests for us. As would other people on fiber connections.

Thanks Smile

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 10:16 AM
@jimmy06
Well im quite happy with that, i never really built it to test 1G+ connections but if it is able to show half a Gb/s then that'll do for me Smile(and if it was limited by hardware then all the better for jdast ^^)

its this problem with these fiber connections thats confusing me, is there something special about ftp upload on fiber ? does a multi-T test enable these fiber connections to max-out ?

We have seen that with just a single upload thread it is quite capable of measuring approx 100Mb/s up so why is fiber different ?

(22-02-2012 09:57 AM)aceado Wrote:  @jackdinn the speed for the upload and download is abit right as its not a 1 set thing

"a bit right" ? "not a 1 set thing" ? not sure what these mean,
but im very appreciative that you have spent the time to help us with the app and from what i can glean from you comments it does look like a multi-T'ed upload test might just be the way forward (especially for fiber). I shall need to gather some more feedback from others on fiber but keeping fingers crossed Smile.

many thx @aceado

[Image: livetag_jackgreg999000.png]
22-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:its this problem with these fiber connections thats confusing me, is there something special about ftp upload on fiber ? does a multi-T test enable these fiber connections to max-out ?

We have seen that with just a single upload thread it is quite capable of measuring approx 100Mb/s up so why is fiber different ?

this is because how the routering is to the ftp server etc.. this could be why also i would say with 1 thread i can get around 950 kb/s avg (7mbit i think) but if i use 2 threads its crazy as it can go from the 950 kb/s i had before to 1mb/s-1.25mb/s (10-11mbit) but the upload doesn't always stay the same like it would do with a virgin user would "really" have fiber

Quote:"a bit right" ? "not a 1 set thing" ? not sure what these mean,
but im very appreciative that you have spent the time to help us with the app and from what i can glean from you comments it does look like a multi-T'ed upload test might just be the way forward (especially for fiber). I shall need to gather some more feedback from others on fiber but keeping fingers crossed Smile.

i meant to say its about right for what speed i can get also i only installed it and didn't change any options what so ever apart from enabling uploading to be tested i've took a look at the options and it says it using the "load hook"

here's 2 pics for you as am sure it would help alot more, i tested it without load hock and with load hook (look at the upload speed)

without load hook

with load hook
22-02-2012, 01:13 PM
ok thank you for the further info, can i ask what your upload speed actually is ? what is it measuring at with other speed testers like speedtest.net ?

22-02-2012, 01:26 PM
(22-02-2012 01:06 PM)aceado Wrote:  
Quote:its this problem with these fiber connections thats confusing me, is there something special about ftp upload on fiber ? does a multi-T test enable these fiber connections to max-out ?

this is because how the routering is to the ftp server etc.. this could be why also i would say with 1 thread i can get around 950 kb/s avg (7mbit i think) but if i use 2 threads its crazy as it can go from the 950 kb/s i had before to 1mb/s-1.25mb/s (10-11mbit) but the upload doesn't always stay the same like it would do with a virgin user would "really" have fiber

Quote:"a bit right" ? "not a 1 set thing" ? not sure what these mean,

i meant to say its about right for what speed i can get also i only installed it and didn't change any options what so ever apart from enabling uploading to be tested i've took a look at the options and it says it using the "load hook"

here's 2 pics for you as am sure it would help alot more, i tested it without load hock and with load hook (look at the upload speed)

without load hook

with load hook

(22-02-2012 01:13 PM)jackdinn Wrote:  ok thank you for the further info, can i ask what your upload speed actually is ? what is it measuring at with other speed testers like speedtest.net ?

We would have the information if he went to the other thread and did the 3 tests i asked for.
01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
installed latest version and running under virtualbox on Linux Mint 12 - only issue is upload - when check config it says it's connected to ftp but when run test it fails on upload

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
@mirdragon

I remember you saying on Skype you had Wine installed too..Managed to try it under that yet at all?

Sounds like you are having the same problem as I was but on ArchBang

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Well the check in the config's shows if your can create an ftp session , if it can _FTP_Connect()

So i can only assume that its connecting ok but failing to "put" anything.

Have just recently managed to get it to go through my VM when it was connected by NAT and also my VPN neither of which it could do before @Jimmy06 added a flag ($INTERNET_FLAG_PASSIVE) that forced a passive connection (even though its supposed to be a passive connection by default) but it did work for some of these type of problems although looks like its didn't help here.

Im always open to suggestions though.

02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
(02-03-2012 01:20 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  @mirdragon

I remember you saying on Skype you had Wine installed too..Managed to try it under that yet at all?

Sounds like you are having the same problem as I was but on ArchBang

not tried it under wine yet - going to try this weekend

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
installed using wine and codeweavers crossover app

after installation, when you attempt to run the app you get the following error

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)