Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
**URGENT UPDATE**
14-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Exclamation **URGENT UPDATE**
A significant number of customers will have their service affected by major network upgrades this evening. This is to improve the efficiency and reliability of the individual connections affected, and the fibre network as a whole. Bear with us please :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 08:58 PM
RE: **URGENT UPDATE**
Removing the 70Mb limitation? Smile
Find all posts by this user
15-02-2013, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 07:38 PM by alexatkin.)
It would be a very good time to do it, what with the ISPA awards.

Should I be worried that my connection didn't go down during the maintenance though? Does that mean I won't be getting my 70Mbit limit unlocked? :-(

Although it does look like there was some packet loss on my ping graph so perhaps it was just backhaul upgrades in preparation for people using more bandwidth once their connections are unlocked.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
17-02-2013, 01:46 AM
The 70mb limitation has nothing to do with Origin and any upgrades they may be doing. From what I understand its a limitation at the exchange level which DR were supposed to be fixing a few months ago... Maybe we'll get an update on that when the new company takes over.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
17-02-2013, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2013 03:40 AM by alexatkin.)
Read what was posted again:
Quote:A significant number of customers will have their service affected by major network upgrades this evening. This is to improve the efficiency and reliability of the individual connections affected, and the fibre network as a whole. Bear with us please :-)

The only control Origin have over a customers connections efficiency or reliability, is if they are fiddling with the PPPoE server. This is possible of course, my connection has been unusually stable over the past week or so which might explain why I wasn't part of this reason work - perhaps I have already been done?

However the bit about improving the fibre network makes no sense in that context. Its unlikely Origin have any notable fibre network of their own, they will lease fibre peers to Digital Region and various Internet backbones, but any work done on those would affect ALL customers, not just "a significant number" of customers.

So instead it seems far more likely it was changes to the Digital Region backhaul, possibly the DSLAMS or line profiles (that would improve efficiency and reliability of someones connections). Seeing as they seemed to think everything has been fine so far, why would they do that now unless it was related to uncapping the MAX profiles? Uncapping would be a pretty huge efficiency gain for the customer (although possibly at the cost of reliability). ;-)

Also, if you ever looked at the Digital Region network map (which granted, is probably somewhat out of date), its not hard to imagine potential for improvement of the fibre links in some areas.
[Image: network-schematic-v24.jpg]

Notice how some exchanges only seem to have 1Gbit of bandwidth? I think its plausible to think these links need upgrading before MAX can be fully unlocked on those exchanges.

There are plenty of places they could have run into problems and need to increase the bandwidth. The only logical reason I can think of for the 70Mbit cap is problems with the DSLAM port reliability at faster speeds, or backhaul bandwidth limitations. A "slight" possibility is legal obligations on crosstalk, but then why aren't they able to at least cap the same as Infinity2 as it shouldn't be any worse.

My personal suspicion is the reason they claim there is plenty of bandwidth is because there are plenty of spare fibres, so technically they aren't lying as the network was rolled out with upgrade capacity. However to save initial rollout costs I would expect they only used the bare minimum, with the intention of upgrading the backhaul as required. Pretty usual practice for any network really.

Personally, I do not think Digital Region realised BT and Virgin would be so competitive on speed and so having to launch MAX to residential customers was an unpleasant surprise. This left them with a huge problem as they weren't expecting to need to upgrade the links so soon, with so few customers actually using them. But if they didn't, they couldn't meet their obligations of having a contention free network.

Its all been a huge cockup really as the network NEEDS to come across as better than Infinity or Virgin, but Thales inability to deal with teething problems didn't do us any favours. Although I am fairly happy with my connection right now, I just wish they would get my MAX uncapped so I can really see what this baby can do.

18-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I know I'm fixated on this (because it affects me directly) but I do find it intriguing to the point of peculiar that Attercliffe is a Core Node for DR and yet it is not fibre enabled by BT. At least not fully enabled for the majority of it's subscribers.

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
18-02-2013, 04:20 PM
There is a data centre in Attercliffe.
18-02-2013, 05:58 PM
(18-02-2013 04:20 PM)Dearne Ranger Wrote:  There is a data centre in Attercliffe.
That may very well be true - but the FTTC status remains at "Not available" and none of the non-DR providers offer fibre services. And there is no planned date on any forecast that I have seen.

I understand there is a limited cable service from Virgin - but not for me alas.

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
18-02-2013, 11:28 PM
(18-02-2013 05:58 PM)essenby Wrote:  
(18-02-2013 04:20 PM)Dearne Ranger Wrote:  There is a data centre in Attercliffe.
That may very well be true - but the FTTC status remains at "Not available" and none of the non-DR providers offer fibre services. And there is no planned date on any forecast that I have seen.

I understand there is a limited cable service from Virgin - but not for me alas.

Likewise for me.I come under the Attercliffe Exchange and am one of the furthest away from it(just below the Parkway on the Greenwood estate).I was lucky to get 2mb prior to Origin.
I have contacted my MP(Clive Betts) about why the reluctance by BT not to enable fibre from the Attercliffe exchange.He in turn contacted BT who replied they had no plans to do so at this moment in timeSad

Phil.
19-02-2013, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 06:58 AM by alexatkin.)
Does it really matter as long as its a DR enabled area? After all, the whole POINT of DR was to enable areas BT were unwilling to do any time soon. So its GOOD that they still succeeded on this in some areas IMO, it shows DR as having some value rather than just a huge waste of money.

If BT comes along and gets the same coverage as DR overnight, it looks really bad on DR.

Wow, I just looked at the Attercliffe exchange on the map - I had no idea that I had walked past it many times coming from the tram stop as its not obvious from Britnall Street or Worksop Road.
I love how the building appears to consist of the original exchange building merged with the newer industrial building next door.

By comparison Intake sticks out like a sore thumb due to it being so much newer and totally out of character with the nearby buildings. I'm surprised they didn't make an effort to make it look more like a house, like they did with the water pumping station on East Bank Road. (yes, I am a bit of a public service infrastructure spotter, particularly electricity sub-stations)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)