Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
From DR to BT
08-03-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: From DR to BT
I don't see how you are going to get a faster connection switching from DR to BT. The distance or quality of the copper wiring isn't going to change much at all, we are talking a few feet difference between cabs. I guess it's possible the hardware in the BT cab might be able to sync faster on lower quality lines. The only thing I see as making a real difference is when BT go forward with vectoring. Then you should have a substantial jump in performance.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 11:12 PM by alexatkin.)
Actually, it could make a big difference but without knowing the current line stats we can't really make an educated guess as to if it will or not.

The problem is that on Digital Region somebody picks a profile for your line based on an educated guess of what is best. As nobody is willing to sit there and tweak those settings per-line, you get only one of several network wide profiles. You cannot for example ask for them to keep you on the same profile but lower your SNR, or switch off your Interleaving, they have to use one of the predefined profiles which often means an improvement in one aspect will degrade something else. (at least that is how it was explained to me)

BT on the other hand have dynamic line management which tweaks every line individually, thus (in theory at least) every line should be running at its maximum ability. While it has its drawbacks over manual intervention, its vastly superior in most cases to how Digital Region are doing things.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
(05-03-2013 12:20 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  I'm a little concerned with the amount of jump ship thoughts/motions/whatever coming out at the moment.

We all know Digital Region hasn't exactly been amazing, but that doesn't mean the new company coming in is going to have the same issues. I don't think you have much to lose by giving this new company some time to see what they can do.

I'm very interested to see what they plan to do with this network personally.

New company? What new company? Are you saying that Ask4 are being replaced by somebody who can improve my service? Nobody, except this forum, ever gives me up-to-date information about what is happening with Digital Region so I'm still in the dark as to why my service is getting worse instead of better.

I know some of you guys are experts in this field of technology but I'm not. As far as I'm concerned, I pay Ask4 for my broadband and expect them to have the power to support me. If they don't and the responsibility lies with somebody who doesn't know their arse from their elbow, I've got no guilt in considering a move to BT.

However, if you're suggesting that things will be improving very soon e.g. service and communication, I'll happily show my support by staying with Digital Region.
09-03-2013, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 04:22 PM by alexatkin.)
Thales were contracted to run the actual network (still do? someone must be?), Digital Region is just the body which actually owns it and organises the contracts, etc.

The problem is Thales appear to have very poor procedures for dealing with lines performing below par. They can basically toggle your line between a few different static line profiles (by request from your ISP), if none of those give the desired result then tough.

However Thales are being replaced by a different company some time this year and it is expected that they will not be so rigid, as its partly this rigidity that had given the network a bad name. So when the new company take over its possible they will be willing to make more refines changes to your line profile in order to get the optimal connection possible. Of course we also have to consider, they might not, or it might be months before they get a handle on how the network performs and so are able to do things like that. At this point, we don't even know for sure who is taking over just who Digital Region would prefer.

You shouldn't feel guilty in moving, of course not. The question is if its worth the hassle of doing so when there is a possibility of things improving.

Its not an easy task to switch from DR back to BT, it will no doubt involve you having no broadband for a week or two, maybe more if things do not go smoothly. The only person who can answer the question of if its worth the hassle, is you.

09-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Cheers alex. I can't fault the service or communication that I get from this forum and its users.

I don't have the option of BT's FTTC service at the moment so I'll be sticking with DR for quite a while yet. Maybe I'll be singing its praises by summer.
10-03-2013, 10:43 PM
We can hope, I am still waiting for the 70Mbit limit to removed off the Max product myself.

10-04-2013, 03:28 PM
If you wanna get a fibre connect, British infiniti is the unbeatable one...!!
But then again, traffic is too much on BT and sometimes it gets slow.
for a fibre connection it will take 14-21 days for you to move on. People from BT will come and check out whether you got the connection of fibre at ur place, which is supposed to be a set-up while the construction of the house. If you got one within 10 days you will move onto BT. but if not, keep 21 days in ur mind..... Smile

new house builders Melbourne
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)