Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
FTTC and Cable prices for Max packages
16-03-2013, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 12:28 AM by john22rob.)
FTTC and Cable prices for Max packages
I have never looked at FTTC providers before as i cant get them but i can with digital region. looking at the sort of deals available there is no wonder why people wouldnt choose DR over any of the below. DR = connection fee and higher cost per month and longer contract length.

the one thing Origin boasted was 100% unlimited, now so do some of the below

BT infinity £26/month with £100 sainsburys gift card and only £20/month for first 3 months 18 month contract 76 meg
Talk talk, the job lot with Fibre, tv, tlk and free youview £30/month and free youview box, 12 month contract 76 meg
Virgin, £12.50 for 6 months then £27/month for upto 100meg 18month

The above deals are without even going through Quidco or topcash back so add another £50+ cash back

Origin & LBO equivalent up to 76meg £35 with half price for 3 months 18month

[Image: john22rob.png]

http://www.quidco.com/user/1417009/232503
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: FTTC and Cable prices for Max packages
(16-03-2013 12:27 AM)john22rob Wrote:  I have never looked at FTTC providers before as i cant get them but i can with digital region. looking at the sort of deals available there is no wonder why people wouldnt choose DR over any of the below. DR = connection fee and higher cost per month and longer contract length.

the one thing Origin boasted was 100% unlimited, now so do some of the below

BT infinity £26/month with £100 sainsburys gift card and only £20/month for first 3 months 18 month contract 76 meg
Talk talk, the job lot with Fibre, tv, tlk and free youview £30/month and free youview box, 12 month contract 76 meg
Virgin, £12.50 for 6 months then £27/month for upto 100meg 18month

The above deals are without even going through Quidco or topcash back so add another £50+ cash back

Origin & LBO equivalent up to 76meg £35 with half price for 3 months 18month

just to bare in mind although with the youview box from talktalk been free you technically pay for it on a month to month basis there's a £15 a month charge for having the box but this only gets you what anyone with a YV box gets its an extra £15 a month to get the specific talktalk extras (premium contents + channels) taking it to £45 a month still all being better value lol than LBO superfast + LBO TV (as when i had LBO tv before leaving it never actually worked once lol) but thought id point it out anyway lol also im sure that TT fibre is 18 months too its 12 months for ADSL

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
16-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Yeh, been some issues on the differences between the two boxes - the BT Youview currently can't do linear channels and this you can't get the Sky Boosts like you can with TalkTalk - They also different boxes

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
16-03-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 02:58 PM by ash45.)
(16-03-2013 01:30 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  Yeh, been some issues on the differences between the two boxes - the BT Youview currently can't do linear channels and this you can't get the Sky Boosts like you can with TalkTalk - They also different boxes

i like the idea of talktalks youview with the premium channels its a shame you cant access them from other ISPS EG talktalk could do the TV package at say £20 a month from any ISP give sky and VM a run for their money, as they do have most of the premium channels VM have anyway (sadly not in HD but that's were the under cut price would come in lol)

i know due to talktalks integration into its own core network and that is the limiting factor here but it would still be a cool idea not affected by weather would be the best one thats all VM has going for it you can watch TV in the snow lol.

youview in general is a bit of a fail for me though as its only crappy freeview which if im honest i only watch the odd program on ITV 1/3 some times simpsons on C4 (have them all on dvd though) and some times programs on E4 other than that all my TV habits are on free satellite channels its a shame the freesat freetime is not on par with YV its just slightly lacking and the price forget about it lol can buy a 32" smart TV with all the on demand players built in for less than a YV box costs lol (fair dos you love the recording bit but ive seen a fair few TVs now allow recording if you plug a external USB HDD in)

Ash

16-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I like the Youview box (got two - one BT and one retail) - I mainly watch on-demand stuff through it (BT and NowTV) the iplayer is also very good playing in HD quality - not tried the other on demand stuff through it yet.

I think that TalkTalk must also have some form of agreement with SKY as both NowTV and BT currently can't provide any of the Sky channels over the Youview platform, so not sure how Talk Talk do it - also with TalkTalk they can be quite misleading as originally they were saying free love film for 12 months and everyone thought it was through the youview box, but it wasn't as neither LoveFilm or Netflix have joined the platform yet.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
16-03-2013, 07:08 PM
(16-03-2013 07:03 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  I like the Youview box (got two - one BT and one retail) - I mainly watch on-demand stuff through it (BT and NowTV) the iplayer is also very good playing in HD quality - not tried the other on demand stuff through it yet.

I think that TalkTalk must also have some form of agreement with SKY as both NowTV and BT currently can't provide any of the Sky channels over the Youview platform, so not sure how Talk Talk do it - also with TalkTalk they can be quite misleading as originally they were saying free love film for 12 months and everyone thought it was through the youview box, but it wasn't as neither LoveFilm or Netflix have joined the platform yet.

talktalk already had all the channels on talktalk TV (tiscalie TV) before they stopped selling it so maybe that how they offer all those channels on YV it still worked for existing customers they just stopped new sign ups last year in preparation for YV launching. not heard about the love film offer so no idea lol

Ash

16-03-2013, 07:38 PM
yeh they stopped the love film offer, but there was also issue that if someone had retail humax, they couldn't sign up for all their tv packages either, you had to have the talktalk box - luckily I can watch BT Vision and NowTV on both boxes and watch different things at same time via on-demand

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

16-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Hi All,

We offer a fully unlimited service that is not traffic managed or shaped in any way. We offer this service to all of our customers and is something you do not get from any of the other providers which why we charge a premium.

We have users that do over 1tb a day, that's the kind of service we offer and we hope that clarifies why we think our services are great value for money.

Thanks,

Origin

Tel: +44 (0) 800 2062333
Email: [email protected]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2013, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2013 12:56 AM by mirdragon.)
(16-03-2013 11:14 PM)Originb Wrote:  Hi All,

We offer a fully unlimited service that is not traffic managed or shaped in any way. We offer this service to all of our customers and is something you do not get from any of the other providers which why we charge a premium.

We have users that do over 1tb a day, that's the kind of service we offer and we hope that clarifies why we think our services are great value for money.

Thanks,

Origin

Actually other providers DO offer an unlimited service that is not traffic managed and at a cheaper price. I have unlimited service with BT which is NOT traffic managed.

See BT Packages

Also this thread on their forums

Ofcom Speed report

Plusnet also offer a similar service and don't SKY and TalkTalk also offer the same, all of which are cheaper than Origin or any other ISP on the network.

Over 1TB a day, for somebody to use that much they must be hammering their connection constantly 24 hours a day and must be downloading over 40gb per hour, which in turn suggests they are on over 100Mbps connection. And if a home user is using this much a day then I can't see it being for legal reasons, so it would suggest it was a business user.

Also makes me laugh seeing that as when I was on the network I got told I was a heavy user, using over 250GB a week and they DR didn't like heavy users, when in reality and after receiving proof I was using around 50GB-60GB a month.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

17-03-2013, 03:09 AM
1TB a day? Thats beyond insane and surely not typical. I gave up monitoring my bandwidth but I'd probably be happy with 1/2 that a month, nevermind a day.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)