Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Mobile Phone Leasing
25-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Mobile Phone Leasing
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever explored the idea of it.

O2 Lease

Vodafone Leasing

It's basically where you pay next to nothing upfront and pay a monthly fee for 12 months and after that you either give the phone back or swap it out for a new one. Considering it for my next mobile phone choice. Sure you don't own the phone, but you can say the same with a car on a lease hire.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 07:25 PM
RE: Mobile Phone Leasing
wow - was looking at the prices on vodafone and even after paying them monthly prices you could be seeing a bill for upto £425 at the end of the 12 months if the device is not returned in pristine condition with charger

Looking at the O2 it's still a lot to pay if something happens to the phone, but you are limited to the iphone of which I won't have. I don't rate them and gave mine away after about 2 weeks of having it. Except for that period I've been using android phones since the 1st one was released.

Unless I had serious problem with my nexus I don't think i would upgrade or switch to another device

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
Find all posts by this user
25-03-2013, 07:40 PM
All prices + Vat

Phil.
25-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Looks like a huge rip off really if they are able to tell you its not in good enough condition at the end of the 12 months and demand compensation.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
26-03-2013, 12:51 PM
@Ray_Von

The O2 ones don't include VAT, but the 32GB one works out at £48 per month which is £576. Can't even get a new iPhone 32GB for that with a plan they are offering.

If you look after your phone, I think it's a quite good idea personally, especially if you a tech monger like me who changes his phone every 12 months lol.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
10-04-2013, 02:26 PM
This has been introduced not very long ago......!!!
I have heard a lot going on mobile technology but it seems this is one hell of a promotion constructed u knw..... People do want to have a change every year, specially me, so i salute the idea man ! Big Grin

new house builders Melbourne
16-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I thought about this thread when seeing the new ads for the new O2 Refresh plan. Maybe this would be a viable option for you @SpencerUK. Personally I wouldn't touch O2 with a barge pole any more but that's just my opinion!

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

16-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I looked at O2 'Refresh' when my contract was up in April. I was tempted but thought it wasn't fair that the iPhone I was looking at was £100 more than buying one direct from Apple. Kinda took the edge of what was otherwise a good tarrif. Ending up going on a SIM only deal with Orange - worked out at £4/month after the cash back was paid!
17-05-2013, 05:50 AM
(10-04-2013 02:26 PM)Endhis Wrote:  This has been introduced not very long ago......!!!
I have heard a lot going on mobile technology but it seems this is one hell of a promotion constructed u knw..... People do want to have a change every year, specially me, so i salute the idea man ! Big Grin

But if it costs as much as a normal contract where you OWN the phone, what is the point?

At least if I decide to replace my phone I have the old one as a backup, can potentially re-sell it or just use it as a web server or something. Phones are getting so powerful now that an old phone could actually be useful to still have around.

My Nokia N900 currently serves as a backup camera (it does Macro shots better than anything else I own) and a VoIP handset. You could also use an old phone as a wireless webcam.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
17-05-2013, 12:11 PM
@Chalky & @pob

I've been following O2 refresh closely. My only gripe with O2 is that their data network is non existent!.

The best deal for the O2 refresh if you ask me is the Sony Xperia T (aka Bond Phone).

Take the phone plan on zero upfront payment and pay £10 and 12 for the plan..Yeah its £22 per month for 24 months but according to their T&C's, if you want to cancel, you just pay off the phone plan not the call plan bit (£12)..So you pay £240 for a new phone on O2 rather than paying for it over £300 sim free Winklol.

I think its a glitch but bah.

I still think leasing may be the best idea for me at the moment with the rates I go through phones haha

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)