Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
HG612 New Firmware
04-04-2013, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 09:23 PM by alexatkin.)
HG612 New Firmware
I just upgraded my HG612 to the new firmware and while my downsync is actually showing as lower, my performance seems better.

For the first time ever I have gotten an accurate result from Think Broadband speed tester:
[Image: 136509700937932426512.png]

The real-world latency when opening web pages is hugely reduced as well, it seems that DNS lookups have gone onto turbo mode. Doing a traceroute is near instant now, before you could often watch it trickling down the different hops even for relatively close locations.

Now some or all of this might be down to rebooting the HG612 as I had noticed the web UI had slowed down a lot, suggesting something hogging the CPU, but its still interesting.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
RE: HG612 New Firmware
did you perform the full-reset as though you were originally unlocking or performed the upgrade via the gui interface

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
Find all posts by this user
04-04-2013, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:27 PM by alexatkin.)
Full reset, but as others have said it doesn't ACTUALLY do a full reset at all, it just updates the firmware keeping your settings.

Before:
[Image: 2013_04_04_16:00.png]
After:
[Image: 2013_04_04_17:00.png]

Annoyingly it seems to have lost the upstream line stats again, but I seem to recall it being mentioned before that its pot luck if the DSLAM provides those at sync time or not so they might come back later.

04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Whats the update suppose to fix/improve?

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
04-04-2013, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 08:06 PM by alexatkin.)
Its the same firmware but with a newer DSL driver. The theory being its likely to have have had bugfixes, optimisation, stability improvements, etc.

06-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info, Alex. Is this update straightforward to do and would I need to re-enter any settings to get my origin connection back afterwards?

I just switched to the Huawei 3 weeks ago and used the guide on here to unlock it and set it up. The throughput is about the same as my cellpipe was, maybe slightly more UL speed, but the real improvement is in stability. My cell used to disconnect every couple of days on average, and it never made it through a whole week without dropping out. The Huawei has yet to lose connection! Big Grin
06-04-2013, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 09:17 AM by Bald_Eagle1.)
(04-04-2013 08:05 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Its the same firmware but with a newer DSL driver. The theory being its likely to have have had bugfixes, optimisation, stability improvements, etc.

Interesting stats there, for a few reasons:-

1) Your sync speeds aren't capped at 80Mb. Is this typical for a DR connection?

2) Your band plans suggest you are connected to a Huawei DSLAM.
Your 'before' stats show US data for QLN, HLOG, SNR.
I have seen many users' stats but NEVER seen these US stats when connected to a Huawei DSLAM.

Occasionally they are seen when connected to an ECI DSLAM (slightly different band plan tones in use).

Do you often see the US data in your graphs/logs?

3) Using the original BLOB firmware, your connection didn't make much use of the 'Shared/Other' tones (shown in blue) for bitloading, yet using the new BLOB does make some use of them.

I have trialed the new BLOB firmware on my much lower speed connection that DEFINITELY used the lower frequency 'Shared/Other' tones for bitloading (used mainly for DS I believe).

Using the new BLOB, most of the lowest band of 'Shared/Other' tones, bitloading was vastly reduced & none of the 2nd band of 'Shared/Other' tones was used at all.

DS Bitloading did seem to increase in the D2 band though & my connection synced at a slightly higher speed.

I have temporarily reverted to the original BLOB firmware & the 'Shared/Other' tones are now fully back in use & sync speed has dropped back to what it was prior to trying the new BLOB.

I will try the new BLOB again in a few days to see if the same effect is apparent.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Digital Region connections are typically capped at 70Mbit which those of us who know about it complained a LOT about, as obviously if we have good lines we are being restricted to below Infinity2 performance. The problem seems to have been that the line cards DR were sold ended up under-performing compared to what was promised and with their limited funds there isn't much they can do about it.

However, somehow they managed to start a limited line card upgrade scheme early this year and Origin pushed hard to get me on that scheme. On 28th March I was upgraded and the upstream stats suddenly appeared. Unfortunately when I upgraded the HG612 firmware they disappeared again, I assumed it was as your described for ECI that they may appear after a resync, or may not, pretty much at random. The latency on my connection seems vastly improved since the firmware update though so I'm not going to downgrade again for the sake of stats, after all, they are only really useful when you have problems anyway.

I think my connection MAY have used other tones before, but the multiplot likely overwrote those with upstream values due to the frequencies being so close. You can see some of my other stats in my linecard upgrade thread.

Incidentally:
ChipSet Vendor Id: BDCM:0xa412
ChipSet VersionNumber: 0xa412
ChipSet SerialNumber:

I don't believe that is Huawei, I can't find any reference to it on Google at all.

06-04-2013, 07:25 PM
(06-04-2013 06:59 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Incidentally:
ChipSet Vendor Id: BDCM:0xa412
ChipSet VersionNumber: 0xa412
ChipSet SerialNumber:

I don't believe that is Huawei, I can't find any reference to it on Google at all.

Thanks for that & the interesting detail in the thread you linked to.

WE do have the same band plans (well, at Discovery Phase anyway), which made me suspect Huwei.

I'm connected to a Huawei DSLAM & this is the Vendor ID:-
ChipSet Vendor Id: BDCM:0xa39d
ChipSet VersionNumber: 0xa39d
ChipSet SerialNumber:

So, both Broadcom chipsets, but maybe yours is just a newer version.
06-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Does that refer to the line card chipset and the bit after is the DSLAM chipset?

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)