Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Does Digital Region have any plans for vectoring?
19-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Does Digital Region have any plans for vectoring?
Hey guys.. I like to keep my eye on the developing FTTC scene.. With vectoring being especially interesting to me. To sum up vectoring it is essentially a noise cancelling technology where it listens to the noise on the other lines and eliminates that noise from your line and enables great increases in bandwidth for the customer.

I was reading an interesting article last year that basically said there would be benefits to *all* lines if vectoring was applied to just a good percentage of lines. As they could reduce the power levels on those lines further lowering any noise for adjacent lines.

I posted the document on this forum on the 06-05-2012 if anyone is interested in reading it. Nobody responded the first time -_-.

Soooo... The last I checked BT were planning on running a vectoring trial sometime later this year.. Does anyone know if DR has a similar test on the books?

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 07:47 PM
RE: Does Digital Region have any plans for vectoring?
I think that seeing as the DR Network doesn't have DLM yet, Vectoring is still a very long way off!

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2013, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 11:31 PM by alexatkin.)
Does Digital Region have enough customers to even worry about crosstalk? Tongue

In all seriousness though, vectoring on a shared infrastructure is going to be insanely problematic. I tried reading this document about it and my head exploded.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
19-04-2013, 11:26 PM
(19-04-2013 11:20 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Does Digital Region have enough customers to even worry about crosstalk? Tongue

even if they do they dont have the money to pay for it lol

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
19-04-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm still puzzled where they got the money for the line card upgrades. I guess they must have seen it as a priority as it would be harder to sell on a network with major flaws in the infrastructure.

19-04-2013, 11:56 PM
(19-04-2013 11:32 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  I'm still puzzled where they got the money for the line card upgrades. I guess they must have seen it as a priority as it would be harder to sell on a network with major flaws in the infrastructure.

arnt they only upgrading cards on request though which means its only the odd 100 quid or so as when required

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
20-04-2013, 03:40 AM
I believe vectoring is a software/firmware upgrade, it's not necessary to use all pairs in proximity to still get some benefits from the technology, although BT will probably have an advantage with more customers I agree. It's been awhile since I read that pdf that you mentioned Alex, I do remember it being really well researched though and answered my questions about the technology with more than one provider.

It may be that BT are the only ones that trial vectoring this year, but it should open up some interesting possibilities 100Mb/down 30Mb/up on 500-600M lines when its finally deployed.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
20-04-2013, 10:34 PM
I suspect 100/30 is already possible at those distances today, the issue is that speeds will drop as more people make the switch.

Remember, I am around 230M and my SNR is around 12dB because there is still spare capacity beyond what profile 17a is capable of. Hopefully that means my line will remain viable at this speed even as more customers come online, although obviously my upstream is likely to take a hit.

21-04-2013, 12:21 AM
That is exactly what vectoring should remedy, in theory you should be able to have everyone on VDSL and keep your speed, and even increase it as it will cancel out the noise from other lines and reduce the power levels to the lowest level possible further reducing noise.

Vectoring will likely be employed in conjuction with 30a and >250Mb lines. Not a bad stop gap until FTTP becomes more widespread.

21-04-2013, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2013 12:09 PM by alexatkin.)
I'm not sure about 30a, everything I have read suggests it only makes any difference up to 300m which would be fine for me but crap for most people.

If the majority of people still will be struggling along at slower speeds then what would be the use case for a connection like that? I can only see businesses needing those kinds of speeds due to their high number of concurrent users, but fibre is a much more intelligent solution for a business who can afford the bigger up-front cost, seeing as it will ultimately result in a more reliable connection.

Anyone within 300m of the cabinet with a decent line already has a bloody fast connection. If I could pay more and increase my speed to 250Mbit right now, I wouldn't. There are very few servers on the Internet that reach my peak speed now. The only selling point for me would be the 100Mbit upstream if that meant I could ditch my VPS and host everything at home instead.

Then again there is merit to not doing that too as with a dedicated host you don't lose your broadband if your website gets a DoS attack and my VPS costs absolute peanuts.

I just cannot see it being financially viable to upgrade the line cards to 30a compatible, unless they had to do that anyway to implement vectoring (so it would improve EVERYONES connections).

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)