Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Sync Rate vs Distance from Cabinet
07-06-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: Sync Rate vs Distance from Cabinet
Ah, glad I stumbled upon this thread as I have been meaning to contact Ask4 regarding my line speeds too but have been too busy with work. Like you, I also have a long line at 1300m, and at some point speed has taken a bit of a nose dive. For reference, current dl/ul speeds are ~ 15MB/s and 2MB/s - after digging out emails to Ask4 over a year ago due to a drop in speed (I seem to remember this being after *something* happened that seemed to affect everyone on the network) the figures I ended up with after changes were ~ 20MB/s down and 4MB/s up (prior to this they were ~24/8). BT estimate 20/5. I can't wait to start they merry-go-round of emails again. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 10:41 PM by REB.)
@Ray_Von Thanks for the link

@prem - Good Luck!
07-06-2013, 11:15 PM
@prem @REB I'd be interested to see what profile you're both on. As I do beleive their was a change from 8b to 17a at somepoint when faster speeds became available. Of course I could be wrong.. Would be nice to know eitherway.

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
08-06-2013, 06:09 AM
@LeJimster Well, I've asked Ask4 to let me know. I'm off out of the country later today and I'm not sure how good my Internet access is going to be so I may be a bit slow/delayed in replying further.

Thanks for your interest in the issue, I appreciate it.
08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Just to clarify something that is the same for all providers on DR - Thales have full control of the DSL side of things (profiles, SNRs etc), we're just handed the traffic over an Ethernet interconnect so we control the PPP/DHCP (depending on the ISP). If actual sync speeds change after maintenance we've announced it's either:

- actually a DR/Thales maintenance window that we've passed details on about.
- a coincidence, the work we do on our network can't affect sync speeds even if we wanted it to. We can affect performance in other ways but not sync speed.

When a user reports a sync issue our role in the process is liaising with Thales, they have their own ways and thoughts on doing things and they're not always aligned with ours...

Obviously it's never great to see a customer want to leave but I can fully understand where frustration creeps in to this process. Good luck with your new provider REB.

Tel: 0845 123 8710
Email: [email protected]
Portal: http://portal.ask4.com/
08-06-2013, 12:14 PM
However in this case @jody-ASK4 do we even know it is the sync speed that is a problem?

@REB mentioned they are using the Cellpipe so have no direct access to view the line stats, so I can only assume they were told by yourselves what speed their line was syncing at.

I'm not sure how much can be done now seeing as they supposedly already cancelled the service, but might it have been an idea to get them a Zyxel sent out to eliminate the Cellpipe as a potential problem?

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm never in favour of locked down hardware. Technical users can always help diagnose a connection better than somebody sat at a remote terminal as they don't have to live with that connection. It always seems to be the case when new DSL technology arrives, network providers are obsessed with control... Both BT and DRL/Thales have acted this way. BTW, speaking of Thales aren't they out of contract now, I though the french company BYES had won the contract to take over?

ISP: plusnet Router: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Speed: ~53Mb/13Mb PCP: ~500m Exc: Intake
08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
@REB

Variation on FTTC in my opinion is to be expected. Not defending any ISP or Thales here but if the line condition has got worse over time (example, the pairs at the Distribution point or lead in pair) have started to develop issues) then your sync will go down.

Best thing you can really do is if you are not already, connect up to the test socket and see if your speed increases. If not raise a fault to Ask4/Origin/LittleBigOne so they can liaise with Thales on what they want to do with it...which is probably send Openreach if they can't find any issues up to the DR cab.

I've always said to people on fibre expect a variance of 10Mb either side of your estimate as its purely an estimate up to the Distribution point, not to your master socket.

@LeJimster

I've never liked locked down hardware either but on the flip side, people who like to look at router stats are generally the same type of people that moan to their ISPS for the slightest variation in speed which being honest, is a nightmare...So it can have its benefits Tongue

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2013, 05:22 PM
I have seen sometimes my speed drop to about 50mbps on the odd occasion and peaked @ over 75mbps, yet my estimate is 69mbps so I'm happy with what I get - if I was constantly getting a 10mbps then I would query this, especially after receiving the speeds I have for over a year

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
08-06-2013, 07:21 PM
(08-06-2013 03:46 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  I've never liked locked down hardware either but on the flip side, people who like to look at router stats are generally the same type of people that moan to their ISPS for the slightest variation in speed which being honest, is a nightmare...So it can have its benefits Tongue

Well, I've never moaned at an ISP unjustly. I did have an argument with a couple of Bulldog engineers in the past who claimed I could not get more than 4Mb and I needed interleaving on for stability. They refused to do what I had asked to my line, so when I finally moved over to o2.. I was put straight on fast path and instantly I was getting 7-8Mb speeds and my connection is rock solid even at a rediculously low SNR. So yeah, maybe those who are superficially technical, but don't know what they're talking about.. I can imagine them being a nightmare.. But it's really unfair on those who know what they're doing.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)