Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Just joined, couple of questions
23-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Just joined, couple of questions
I was switched to the Chess network this morning (I actually signed up with LittleBigOne). Relatively painless except I can't get into the ZyXEL router, they have changed the admin password. Is this standard practice? I need to set up some fixed IP addresses and think I may need to fiddle with some ports, my VPN into my office isn't working.

Plus, I signed up for the basic 20MB package but am barely getting 10. Again, is that likely to change as the line / router settles down or is that me lot?

Nice forum by the way.

Ken.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2013, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2013 02:16 PM by Chalky.)
RE: Just joined, couple of questions
Hi @kenwoodlad

Welcome to the forums!

I believe the ZyXEL password is indeed changed from the default. You would probably have to ask them if they will give you access, or a cut down user portal. That being said, the default settings should not really effect you from being able to VPN out via the ZyXEL.

Digital Region do not use Dynamic Line Management so unfortunately it will not 'settle down' like a BT connection. You will need to call LBO/Chess and have them get Thales to fiddle with your profile settings if they are willing.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the reply Chalky. I've put in a support call, will see what they come back with re: access to router settings.

While 10Mb is disappointing when expecting 20, it's better than the 6 I had. I'll learn to live with the disappointment.

Cheers,

Ken.
23-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Ken and welcome...Smile

Regarding you only getting 10mb,are you quite some way from the DR street cabinet,this can affect how fast you can get.

I'm with Origin on their 24mb package and get around 22mb.I'm roughly 860 metres from the street cabinet

Phil.
24-07-2013, 03:06 AM
i can VPN out with the ZyXel just fine on Chess.

I also get the full 40mbit downstream, so as others suggest, it is probably your location to the cabinet. I did get Chess to alter my profile to the lowest latency setting ADSL Fast Path equiv.

I am a little confused. Are you saying you cannot access the basic info and settings on the ZyXel router by using the username 'user' and the password '1234'?

You can also get your DSL line stats from there, under DSL diagnostics which will indicate if you line is at fault or too much distance is involved for the full speed.
24-07-2013, 04:14 AM
(23-07-2013 01:38 PM)kenwoodlad Wrote:  I was switched to the Chess network this morning (I actually signed up with LittleBigOne). Relatively painless except I can't get into the ZyXEL router, they have changed the admin password. Is this standard practice? I need to set up some fixed IP addresses and think I may need to fiddle with some ports, my VPN into my office isn't working.

Plus, I signed up for the basic 20MB package but am barely getting 10. Again, is that likely to change as the line / router settles down or is that me lot?

Nice forum by the way.

Ken.

as other have said to get access to the zyxel its user / 1234 as they wont give you the admin or supervisor password

as for the package LBO dont offer a 20Mb package its 40Mb or the faster one as far as i can tell chess offer a 24Mb but this is only ADSL so are you sure your defo on VDSL and not ADSL?

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
24-07-2013, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2013 08:12 AM by kenwoodlad.)
I tried user/1234 and admin/1234 and nothing let me in.

When I looked at the Little Big One web site (quite a while ago), as far as I recall the basic "superfast" package was advertised at 20 and the "ultrafast" at 40. But I have slept since then. I've no idea what cabinet I'm supposedly connected to so can't judge distances.

Communications with LBO/Chess were almost non-existent and I have nothing in writing so they may well have just lobbed me onto an old ADSL connection. I placed the order on the LBO web site and never did get anything to confirm what I'd signed up for. Have tried asking them several times but so far nothing has materialised. I notice the LBO website now says "up to" 40 for the basic package so my 10 looks very poor.

This is what it says when I put in my postcode:

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. And much better than I got from Chess!!
24-07-2013, 08:39 AM
(24-07-2013 08:06 AM)kenwoodlad Wrote:  I tried user/1234 and admin/1234 and nothing let me in.

When I looked at the Little Big One web site (quite a while ago), as far as I recall the basic "superfast" package was advertised at 20 and the "ultrafast" at 40. But I have slept since then. I've no idea what cabinet I'm supposedly connected to so can't judge distances.

Communications with LBO/Chess were almost non-existent and I have nothing in writing so they may well have just lobbed me onto an old ADSL connection. I placed the order on the LBO web site and never did get anything to confirm what I'd signed up for. Have tried asking them several times but so far nothing has materialised. I notice the LBO website now says "up to" 40 for the basic package so my 10 looks very poor.

This is what it says when I put in my postcode:

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. And much better than I got from Chess!!

check ur pm Smile

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
24-07-2013, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2013 10:59 AM by Ray_Von.)
Ken if you put your postcode into Origins checker it should show you where the nearest DR street cabinet is.

http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/availability/

Here is a table of speed estimates that SpencerUK posted

[Image: Speeds.png]

Phil.
24-07-2013, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2013 11:39 AM by kenwoodlad.)
(24-07-2013 10:58 AM)Ray_Von Wrote:  Ken if you put your postcode into Origins checker it should show you where the nearest DR street cabinet is.

Hi Phil.

Thanks for that. It shows I'm 500m from nearest box and should be getting over 30Mb as your table suggests.
[attachment=136]

I'll give Chess a ring when I get home but they haven't been stunningly pro-active in responding to other queries so I won't hold my breath.

Thanks to all for their input on this, much appreciated.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)