Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Just joined, couple of questions
24-07-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Just joined, couple of questions
Just to add Ken,the length of copper cable that runs from your house to the nearest street cabinet might not be as you think.My house for example is around 200 metres walking distance,but according to DR the approximate distance the copper cables run is around 860m.

Phil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Welcome @kenwoodlad

Just remember, the table is only an estimate as it doesn't take in to account the quality of the drop wire and your copper

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2013, 12:26 PM
If Chess has just shoved you on their ADSL network, that is a truly awful bit of customer service, and I'd be surprised if they could just do that.
25-07-2013, 07:44 AM
I take the point about distances being estimated and quality of wires. It would be nice though if Chess got back to my several enquiries and let me know what their thoughts are. But so far that's not happened. Unfortunately I have other personal problems demanding resolution so can't go chasing this as hard as I'd like. If and when I get any answers from Chess, I'll update this thread. Thanks for all the advice and support thus far.
25-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Just sent a tweet to them for you. Hopefully they may notice Smile

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
25-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks Spencer, that seems to have worked, they've contacted me. Remains to be seen what transpires. I'll keep you posted.
25-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Chess have been very helpful and I've had a couple of emails and a couple of phone calls. Alas, I still cannot get into the router even with the new password they provided so maybe I've lost the plot and I've forgotten how to log into a router. They have confirmed that I am on fibre and not ADSL so the speed is disappointing but liveable with.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this.

Ken.
25-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Good to hear Chess have got in touch.

Have you considered raising a fault @kenwoodlad to get Openreach to go out to see if they can improve anything for you on the network?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Quick update. After an abysmal start, Chess got their act together and I can now access the router and make the config changes I want. The speed is the best I can get given my location. I have to say that it has stayed stable so can't complain really. The bizarre thing is that the phone service went at the weekend while the internet carried on. Currently we can't make or receive calls. Which isn't a bad thing given the amount of PPI claims calls we get these days. We're now awaiting a line test to see what's up.
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 04:25 PM by alexatkin.)
Its easy for that to happen due to how the wiring works.

Your house line goes into the BT cabinet, then junctions with a pair going to the broadband cabinet. Another pair comes back from broadband cabinet to join up with the exchange side of your line.

Its likely in your case they have disconnected the exchange side of your line when working on someone elses line. In my case sadly they did the opposite, got the connection wrong for my house so my whole line and broadband was connected to someone else for 5 days, with my actual house line not connected to anything.

This is all down to BT Openreach having inaccurate records for the junctions points in the cabinets and the engineers (in my case a trainee apparently) not bothering to double check their work afterwards.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)