Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Internet speeds.
08-08-2013, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 11:43 PM by Jawswing.)
Internet speeds.
I've had an issue now with Ask4/Thales for possibly a good few months now.
I was once getting a download speed of 30Mbps, and an upload speed of about 5Mbps. Not the greatest, but I am a fair bit from the cabinet.
A few months ago I'd noticed that my speed had dropped to 20Mbps down, and I'm now getting about 8Mbps up. I believe the ping is faster now too, but I can't remember my old ping.
It took them a good 6 weeks to increase this to 24Mbps down and about 6Mbps up, they apparently spoke to Thales on a few occasions. I think I lost strength and just left it at that.
This lasted a week or two and now it's back to 20/8.
Once again they've contacted Thales, they obviously did something to the line as it disconnected straight after the phone call, but it still hasn't changed.
I've been asked to send numerous screenshots of speedtests (I'm going to presume they think I'm lying here or something), and still nothing.

I suppose I'm here to seek advice and ask have any of you guys experienced this before? For such a long time?
A 30% reduction in my internet speed isn't okay, I'm sure they wouldn't be too pleased if I started paying them 30% less.

One other question, I've noticed the 'max' packages from Littlebigone and Origin. They seem to tell me I'd be getting a download speed of 40Mbps if I went on those (30Mbps for the normal package). If I can't max out the line on the normal package, do any of you think I'd actually get 40Mbps on the max package? I'd normally think that's a dumb question, but I'm sure I read something before stating they use a different connection type (VDSL2+ or something instead of VDSL2).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2013, 11:52 PM
RE: Internet speeds.
It rather depends what profile you are on right now I think. If you are on 8b then "potentially" it could be higher/lower if they switched you to 17a. It may also be that you WERE on 8b and it was them switching you to 17a that reduced your speed in the first place. Either way, you shouldn't need to upgrade to Max to get a profile change like that, they should be able and willing to try both modes on your current package as clearly you are too far for the kind of speeds Max is for.

Have Ask4 at any point mentioned to you what speed Thales see you connected at?

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I was with Ask4 and after making some improvements to my internal wiring etc, I achieved 20Mbs (up from 16) down and 2.2Mbs up during the summer of last year. Slowly the down speed started dropping until by April/May this year I was down to 10.5 and 1.7. Despite (or perhaps because of) Thales/Ask4 best efforts I was told nothing could be done and that at the distance I am from my cabinet (1.3km) those speeds were all that my line could support.

I switched to BT Infinity last month and now get 21.5 and 1.9 and couldn't be happier. I don't know what DR are doing with their system, but it ain't good (IMHO).

In defence of Ask4, I couldn't fault their customer service and communications etc. They contacted me by phone and email when they said they would (and sometimes when they didn't) but I do think their hands were a bit tied by Thales.
09-08-2013, 04:00 PM
A friend of mine is having the same problem with LBO his speeds started at 34/6 and was like that for a good 8 month solid odd drop out nothing to worry about and then have dropped to 18/2 and when he rings up to find out what's going on it the make out hes lieing saying its physically impossible to of ever had them speeds due to distance from cab and are unwilling to do anything about it,

His cab is not that far i know about cabling taking a diff route some times too but we actually sent them a print screen of the router at full sync from when he first got it and they said any one could of done that on paint, i mean what an excuse just not to bother, he is waiting for his contract to end in September and hes considering switching to origin but hes also thinking about waiting as BT have now put his exchange onto coming soon where as last year it was on no current role out plans hence why he went with DRN.

you'd think that wick lack of custom to start with they'd make sure to keep their actual customers very happy, i left DRN for Openreach fibre due the them messing me about as well its really a shame as the DRN could of been very good if they actually cared about their customers

Ash

[Image: 4173472130.png][Image: 8115047.png]
09-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Simple answer here, cancel your contract and move providers Smile
09-08-2013, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 08:52 PM by Jawswing.)
(09-08-2013 04:00 PM)ash45 Wrote:  A friend of mine is having the same problem with LBO his speeds started at 34/6 and was like that for a good 8 month solid odd drop out nothing to worry about and then have dropped to 18/2 and when he rings up to find out what's going on it the make out hes lieing saying its physically impossible to of ever had them speeds due to distance from cab and are unwilling to do anything about it,

His cab is not that far i know about cabling taking a diff route some times too but we actually sent them a print screen of the router at full sync from when he first got it and they said any one could of done that on paint, i mean what an excuse just not to bother, he is waiting for his contract to end in September and hes considering switching to origin but hes also thinking about waiting as BT have now put his exchange onto coming soon where as last year it was on no current role out plans hence why he went with DRN.

you'd think that wick lack of custom to start with they'd make sure to keep their actual customers very happy, i left DRN for Openreach fibre due the them messing me about as well its really a shame as the DRN could of been very good if they actually cared about their customers

Ash

I'm in a similar situation to be fair, looking at the cabinet I'd say I'm about 600 meters or so from it. Fortunately Ask4 haven't just flat out told me that I'm lying, but with all the screenshots they're asking for, it does imply that. I am in the mindset that I do want to leave, I am out of contract, and despite this and the original no connection I had for the first 2 weeks, then I'd say there support was good. But it's just got to a stage where it is obviously unresolvable. But, I'm a little sceptical about moving to another Digital Region supplier now, as the same problem could occur. My exchange has been given the all clear for 'BT Infinity', but I'll have to wait until December for that.
09-08-2013, 10:28 PM
My contract does not run out with LBO / Chess for another 8 months but I have just signed up for infinity. LBO / chess decided it was fine to transfer my contract without asking so it is only fair I reciprocate Smile
10-08-2013, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 02:07 PM by mirdragon.)
Best way to prove connection issue rather than constant screen grabs is to use a speed wave on speedtest.net and when perform a test make sure u add to the speed wave.

That was how I proved my speed on DR at the time was dropping from 38mb to less than 5mb during peak hours on ocassions.

I know it not perfect but does help when diagnosing issues.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
10-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I would think that even without a speed wave the fact it will show in the speedtest.net logs if you have an account and are logged in, would be enough?

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I think it only keeps for period of time if logged in but not too sure will check when back

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)