Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Todays Yorkshire Post Re Digital Region
17-08-2013, 05:46 PM
RE: Todays Yorkshire Post Re Digital Region
It just baffles me that us as customers have been discussing forever the two main reasons why nobody we told about it would switch, but DR did nothing about it?

I can only assume it was some silly bureaucracy problem that prevented them from eating the installation charge and subsidising advertising.

Heck, all they needed to do was put a bigger advert on the cabinets advertising the service and oiunting you to the page on their site where you can see the list of ISPs. It wouldn't have solved the problem, but it would least have shown them making an effort. Whatever/whoever stopped them from doing this should be held accountable. I would not be surprised if this was blocked due to some anti-competitive BS or something, as it seems council run projects are never allowed the same liberties as private companies - is it any wonder they always crash and burn?

That reminds me of the argument I have seen for why they will not put solar panels on council housing. Apparently they aren't allowed to make a profit from council housing. If true, that is the biggest steaming pile of brain-dead legislation I have ever heard. Bottom line, it should be about the customers/tenents benefitting from these things. A money saving from solar panels would go a good distance to pay for the bloody bedroom tax. (or the fact we have to wash our hands using the shower because decent homes effectively broke our hot water system) Its almost guaranteed to be the government who tied their hands and then moan when things go pear shaped.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I heard about DR because I worked at plusnet. Other wise I would still not know it existed. I was complaining to a co-worker about my slow speeds and he told me a out DR, I didn't believe him and brushed it off.. Then I checked.

[Image: FlipFamous.png]
Find all posts by this user
17-08-2013, 07:17 PM
i heard about it when searching something online about FTTC in Barnsley and why BT install dates were removed

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
18-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Digital Regions ultimate failure is this;

Points to whoever can spot the problem here and where the photo was taken Tongue

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
18-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Problem is easy.. its the size of the BT signs Wink
I want to say Hillsborough area, heading towards broomhill
18-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Exactly. So how is a driver gonna know what the cabinet is with such a small logo on it?
And no, its somewhere in Barnsley Wink

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
18-08-2013, 04:19 PM
And that is what it's like round my area - the BT boxes have nice colourful advertisements, while the Digital Region ones have nothing.

All my neighbours are on BT, Sky or TT FTTC products with most going with BT

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
18-08-2013, 08:52 PM
The photo is taken on Doncaster Road in Barnsley near the junction with Cemetery Road. I claim my prize!
I think that the problem is the BT cabinet next to the DR one. If BT hadn't chased DR around South Yorkshire putting their own network alongside the already existing DR one then DR may have stood a chance.
BT's cabinet followed Digital Region's cabinet at the end of my road after about three months. As soon as the BT cabinet was live I was bombarded by cold callers trying to persuade me to have BT FTTC. This was in stark contrast to the non existent DR advertising. I have had several enormous and very costly problems with BT over the years and always vowed never to give them my custom at home nor at work. I pray that it doesn't now become inevitable.
18-08-2013, 09:36 PM
For the cabinet to appear that quick it would have already been planned as for each cabinet they have to get planning permission from council.

But as you say once ready you get mailshots and calls from BT, yet there was nothing from digital region and there still hasn't been 3 years later

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

19-08-2013, 05:14 PM
@Chips

I am impressed!
You live round there or something?
Free Starbucks drink as your prize Tongue

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)