Anybody jumped ship yet? Options?
19-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Anybody jumped ship yet? Options?
Hi,

Given the state of DR, and the fact that I'm on ASK4 (so most probably will be offloaded to a.n.other ISP) I'm wondering if now is the time to jump ship.

Before the announcement I was thinking of Origin, giving me the option of MAX in the future (if it ever came down in price), but now I'm seriously looking at non-DR providers (certainly something that can put me past the 40mbit limit)

So, who are the current ISPs to look at? BT obviously (especially if they post a good deal to quidco), but what about some of the other providers?

I do a fair bit of usenet if that makes a difference.

(Previous ISP disclosure: Demon, Pipex, Plusnet, Be, Ripwire Rolleyes, ASK4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Anybody jumped ship yet? Options?
i think that depends on if you are a FTTC enabled area? if so you have plusnet fibre, talktalk, sky & EE to name a few.

i have no options, if you do then Tongue

19-08-2013, 10:22 PM
I still say hold off and wait for Ask4 to let you know what their plan is. Smaller ISPs like PlusNet may even offer deals to poach people off Digital Region, when the time comes.

I doubt anything can happen in the next 3-6 months as they have to allow the councils, schools and other businesses time to find alternative networks. In that respect I think the bureaucracy of those businesses decisions might buy us some time, as nothing like that happens overnight.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2013, 10:50 PM
I am 12 months into an 18 month contract with Origin.As there are no other fibre options available for me I will just have sit tight and see what happens.

Phil.
20-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Aye - I think the logic should go that:

If you're connected to DR and generally happy (or in contract) - stay where you are for the moment, work out what you'll do when push comes to shove

If you're not connected or are unhappy and out of contract - look out for good deals and move when opportune.
20-08-2013, 02:17 AM
When my contract is up with chess I'm moving to origin if they can/will take me BT have fibre active for me now so even if I get moves to BT I'm not at any loss if anything I may gain

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
20-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Family who have moved in next door have a son about 20.I told them a couple of months back about Origin but he said he couldn't afford the install fee so went with BT.
BT's engineers have been about 4 times now but obviously have no magic wand because we live a long way from the exchange.The son is is into gaming....well he was Big Grin

Phil.
20-08-2013, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2013 12:19 PM by alexatkin.)
Obviously not into CoD then? Tongue

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
20-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I agree with that @alexatkin says. For all we know, someone may just buy its assets and the network may continue to run. Just hold off.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
20-08-2013, 01:11 PM
(20-08-2013 12:19 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Obviously not into CoD then? Tongue

If he was he isn't now...Tongue. Might be ok with a few card games Big Grin

Phil.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)