Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Worried about my order with Chess
24-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Worried about my order with Chess
Made an order with Chess for the DR network on the 15th of August. They went through the order over the phone with me.

Since then I have read about the closure of the network and potential consequences (for example, switching to ISPs on alternative networks, possible using other technologies and therefore no where near the speed I would have got on the DR network). Now I appear to have signed up for Chess over the phone for a long term contract. I am worried that I am now going to be tied to them for the remaining period of this contract even if they will move me over to a none FTTC network.

I have tried to e-mail them on multiple addresses asking them about this and I have had no reply. I have not had any paperwork through the post (I understand this is how they operate anyway)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2013 12:49 PM by rhole.)
RE: Worried about my order with Chess
I'm not any expert or anything. But I would have thought you wouldn't be 'stuck' with Chess if DR service is turned off completely.

As you signed up for FTTC. The migration to any ADSL connection surely would require a re-write of any contract. As surely it is a different service.
It would be like having a SKY subscription to Movies... then for whatever reason SKY stop all their movie channels and them ending the Movie Sub and migrating you to a Sports subscription when you don't watch or want Sports.

I'm under contract until April next year. As far as I'm concerned I'm staying with Chess for now, but if something 'better' for me is available when the DR is turned off, or whatever the contingancy plan is for DR connections, then I would leave in an instant and would not accept any penalty from them. I'd be perfectly happy for them to take me to court or whatever.

^ By no means am I complaining at the service Chess offer though. My only gripe is that as a Business ISP they don't seem to quite offer the right level of support to the Residential customer.

Every form of communication I have ever had from Chess has included a paragraph about how 'great' they are. Every single one. lol.
24-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Firstly I thought that no more orders for the DR network were being taken following the closure announcement ?

More so I find the Chess customer service appalling, I have emailed them twice within the last month and have never managed to get a reply from them. Then they stick a £3 charge on my account for Fraud Prevention, which they admit is a mistake but they still want us all to pay for and then hope that they refund it next month. I have ordered BT Infinity, they can shove their contract which I never actually signed with them in the first place.
24-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Or maybe it was on the 14th they they took the order, anyway, I will phone them up on Tuesday to ask them about the order. They mentioned nothing about the network closing down. I phoned Origin out of interest today, they seemed to indicate that only some cabinets will have the network functionality removed. They check the cabinet in my area and said that for the moment they cannot say whether or not the cabinet would retain the network functionality so cannot take any orders. I think he called the cabinet "Penistone 9"
24-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I expect that if any DR cabs are retained it will be in areas where there is no BT presence.
24-08-2013, 04:40 PM
What can I expect if my order does go through?
-Post?
-E-mail? (I already got one e-mail asking for my identification scans)
-Hardware?
-Time-scale?

Find it strange having to ask for this information on a community forum (though it does seem like an excellent forum) when this information is usually provided by the ISP via some form of communication.
24-08-2013, 10:05 PM
If they don't reply to your emails when placing an order,what chance will you have once they have you under contract....Huh

The writing is on the wall...get out while you can

Phil.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)