Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Which modem technology?
24-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Which modem technology?
Hello. Smile

I have placed an order for the network through Chess, hoping it goes through. Supposing it does go through and I do get the connection, what sort of modem is needed to connect to the network?

Chess asked me if I wanted to rent a router from them, to which I replied no (wanting to choose my own router). Then I wondered if the router they supply has a specific modem with it or not.

Hopefully they supply a modem separately. Is this the case?

Believe me, I have tried asking Chess this via e-mail and have had not response, I also asked the man over the phone when i made the order, I don't think he knew what I was asking, either that, or what he said didn't answer my question, he just said "oh any decent router will do", which of course would be fine if it was the case that they supply a separate piece of hardware for the modem.

Any ideas? Appreciate it. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 03:40 PM
RE: Which modem technology?
After my experience with Chess I would cancel the order if you can. They know nothing about Digital Region and don't reply to emails.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: ZyXEL SBG3300-N | Speed: 25Mbit/4Mbit | Exchange: Wadsley Bridge
Network: Netgear WNDR3700
PCs: MacPro, Hackintosh, MacBook Pro, ACER Aspire 5720
OD: AppleTV (3rd Gen), SkyHD, XBOX 360
Mobile: iPad mini, iPhone 5
24-08-2013, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2013 06:55 PM by Nutty34.)
As above mate, they really are useless. Get out whilst you can. Do they not supply you with a router ? LBO did when I signed up.
24-08-2013, 07:13 PM
They do but its rented for ~£2 a month so I thought I'd get my own and get a good one. Ah this sucks, if only I actually had any internet apart from slow mobile network I could have researched this more...
24-08-2013, 07:56 PM
LBO provided a Zyxel router mate, I can't believe Chess want to rent you one, that sucks. Honestly, have a read through a couple of threads on here, they are awful hence why I have ordered Infinity 2 to get shut of them and sod the remainder of the contract. I never had any issues with LBO but this lot are useless.
24-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Rent a router Confused
25-08-2013, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2013 12:32 PM by Chalky.)
Renting a router on the residential side is something from the early 2000's not what to be expected these days. The ZyXEL Router comes from DRL and Thales so it's a bit unfair for them to try and charge in top for it.

If they are providing just a modem, and I can't see how they can as the options are pretty much non existent as BT always provide a modem then you basically just need a decent 'Cable' router.

If you're looking for your own VDSL router which includes the modem then I highly recommend the Draytek 2850 or 2860 devices. They're not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but are great devices. The 2850 allows you to have ADSL and VDSL running concurrently so that you can have a failover. The 2860 allows you to have ADSL or VDSL so it's still an option if the worse comes to the worse and we are forced to go back to ADSL.

Draytek do offer cheaper VDSL Router/Modem devices however I have no experience of them in particular. I would expect them to be just as good though.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Cancelled.

Thank you for your replies

Going to use ADSL for a year and see what is happening at that point.
29-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Probably a wise move mate, hope you get sorted soon. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)