Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
So far Ask4 connection worse than Ripwire
26-02-2012, 12:06 PM
RE: So far Ask4 connection worse than Ripwire
I'd personally give it a couple of days to let the dust settle before going to Ask4 about anything.

In relation to the packages, my understanding was that the 24/2 was going to be scrapped and everyone would come over as 40/10. Can @Ask4Support, @jonthornhill or @jody-ASK4 clarify. Thanks.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 12:17 PM
(25-02-2012 07:26 PM)wraith Wrote:  I would have believed it could be contention ( Dinnington exchange ) except my speeds never dropped to this level when on Ripwire.

Wow! I've found someone else on the Dinnington exchange. FYI: My speeds are currently fine after migrating to Ask4 on Friday
[Image: 1797427087.png]
Find all posts by this user
26-02-2012, 12:26 PM
@topcat,

@jody-ASK4 checked up on my disconnects and their systems flagged the same dropouts as my router. I'm now going to contact ASK4 support to look into it, I've already opened a ticket for the low speeds. Like you the disconnects don't really bother me though it can be irritating if your in the middle of a non resuming download Angry

I strongly suspect it has something to do with being on Ripwires 24/2 package. When I first signed up with Ripwire I had disconnects regularly but then they slowed and for the last few months I didn't have any dropouts at all until my connection was moved over to ASK4 so something must have been disturbed in some way.
26-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi,

Just to clarify the network topology, the actual flow is:

Home wall socket => BTOpenreach twisted pair copper line =>BT Openreach street cab => Copper tie cable into Digital Region street cab => Digital Region fibre network back to a BT exchange (not necessarily the same one your POTS phone goes back to) => over the DRL fibre to your ISP's port into the network and then out via their core to the Internet.

Not sure what is meant by a council halo, but thought this would help clarify things a little. Also may be worth noting, the traffic doesn't flow via the NOC once the circuit has been provisioned either.

Rich
26-02-2012, 07:11 PM
(26-02-2012 04:21 PM)Digital Region Wrote:  Hi,

Home wall socket => BTOpenreach twisted pair copper line =>BT Openreach street cab => Copper tie cable into Digital Region street cab => Digital Region fibre network back to a BT exchange (not necessarily the same one your POTS phone goes back to) => over the DRL fibre to your ISP's port into the network and then out via their core to the Internet.

Not sure what is meant by a council halo, but thought this would help clarify things a little. Also may be worth noting, the traffic doesn't flow via the NOC once the circuit has been provisioned either.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply, but why then is there such a delay in reaching the ISP's network - from home user to isp should always be the fastest connection - also this raises the question of when i had issues with slowness when I was with RipWire I was told on numerous occasions it wasn't their network but looked to be yours causing the problems

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
26-02-2012, 07:26 PM
(26-02-2012 07:11 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply, but why then is there such a delay in reaching the ISP's network - from home user to isp should always be the fastest connection - also this raises the question of when i had issues with slowness when I was with RipWire I was told on numerous occasions it wasn't their network but looked to be yours causing the problems

Hi, don't know the answer to that off the top of my head. I will check what the performance characteristics of the network should be and see if there is something out of kilter.

Rich
26-02-2012, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2012 08:39 PM by SpencerUk.)
(26-02-2012 04:21 PM)Digital Region Wrote:  Hi,

Rich

Rich, aren't you missing the DP in all that?. Granted I missed it on mine xD
According to the Thales network layout, the DR PCP and BT PCP are the other way round?.

From my understanding of Thales project paper work, Each council has a "Halo" which connects to a central one. Example, barnsley exchanges (Cudworth, etc) would connect to Barnsley's main one (like Openreach would do) and then that connects to another halo ring. I can only go off the paper work but I assume the design's are accurate Smile.

Anyway, if this needs to be delved into a discussion, best to create a new thread Smile

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
26-02-2012, 08:49 PM
(26-02-2012 08:27 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  Rich, aren't you missing the DP in all that?. Granted I missed it on mine xD
According to the Thales network layout, the DR PCP and BT PCP are the other way round?.

From my understanding of Thales project paper work, Each council has a "Halo" which connects to a central one. Example, barnsley exchanges (Cudworth, etc) would connect to Barnsley's main one (like Openreach would do) and then that connects to another halo ring. I can only go off the paper work but I assume the design's are accurate Smile.

Anyway, if this needs to be delved into a discussion, best to create a new thread Smile

My understanding is:
BT Master Socket > BT PCP > DR PCP > Exchange > Major Exchange > ISP > Internet

DR Topology:
http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/wp-conten...ic-v24.jpg

Lee - (back to ADSL2+ because of the DR closure)

ASK4 DR:Back to ADSL2+
27-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Hi Spencer, not wishing to go off-topic, but, I understand now what you mean by a 'halo'. Yes, each sub-region has been designed as a ring for resilience (granted there are some exceptions). If we include DP's and poles etc, then yes they sit between the master socket in the home and the BT PCP. I'm pretty sure I've also got the relationship between the BT PCP and the DRL BSAN the right way round too! ;o)

Vit0, technically there doesn't have to be a major (core) exchange in the loop as we have designed the network to accept an ISP interconnect at non-core exchanges as well, should the ISP want to connect at an alternative location.

Right, back on topic.
27-02-2012, 12:52 PM
@Digital Region, if you could try and find why the latency to the ISP is high (for me 18ms) then that would be very much appreciated! Considering after it gets to ask4 it only takes another 5ms to get the the BBC servers its a bit crazy how much we lose in the local system!

ISP: Ask4 DR Speed: 39.5Mbit /9.90Mbit Ping: 16ms to bbc.co.uk Line Length: ~400m
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)