Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Left in limbo
06-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Sad Left in limbo
Could anyone clarify for me whether new connections to the digital region fibre network are blocked as a result of company policy / uncertainty or Chess and other providers are actually blocked from making connections by DR?

My situation is that I moved into a new house the day after DR announced its closure (16th August)

This means I am now, under contract, paying for a fibre service at my old address which Chess now refuse to move to my new address.

Apparently the only option I have is to pay a cancellation fee to Chess to get out of my contract as they can offer an alternative solution, but this alternative is obviously not going to be the fibre connection which I am paying a premium for.

So much for the "don't worry, your service wont be affected" Angry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
RE: Left in limbo
Where you already on FTTC with Digital Region before you moved premises?

Who did you sign up with if you were already on the network? Was it LBO or Chess?

If you have signed up for FTTC and Chess cannot provide are your new premises then it doesn't matter if they can supply you an alternative solution, you have a contract for FTTC and not ADSL.

Did you notify Chess before moving? If so what did they say? You may have to look at your contract and also speak to CAB to determine next cause of action

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
06-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Frankly Chess are appalling, I have emailed them three times now in the last month and they have yet to reply to any of them. The last mail I sent gave them 30 days notice of termination, they have not even replied to that ?

I signed up with LBO and in my eyes have no contract in any way shape or form with Chess unless they can prove otherwise !

I still have 9 months to run on my LBO contract officially but am having infinity 2 installed next week, Chess can go whistle.

It is my understanding that DR are not allowing any new connections on the network.
06-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Certainly seems to be the case as even Origin have confirmed they are not accepting orders now.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Chess cannot force you to pay the termination fee if they cannot transfer the service to the new address.

Normally! They would be able to!

But, DRs closure and if you are still in a previously DR enabled area, then they cannot!

I'd bet my left testicle on that. In-fact maybe both!
07-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Yepp. If I were you I'd put the situation in writing to them, send 1st class recorded and give them however many days to close the account.
07-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Don't bother using email, they NEVER answer them Smile
08-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Just been looking at my Origin contract and the Terms and Conditions.
In the contract, I have signed for a service which is effectively up to 24/2 (now 24/10) with a static ip. There is no mention of the technology or network used to supply this service.
In the Terms and Conditions it says that if I cease to be responsible for the land-line and I am inside the minimum term then there is an £80 fee plus 50% of the cost of the remaining term. I can see no mention of what happens if you move property. I guess they could just say tough it's termination, but if they want your custom they could negotiate a move. They have to offer and you have to accept their terms, or your back to termination fee.
I suggest you check your LBO/Chess contract and T&C.
08-09-2013, 09:18 AM
How do you think they can enforce these charges ? Let's say the termination fee as you say is £80 and even if you still had 18 months to run @£10 a month the total liability would still only be £260. No company is going to take anyone to court for that amount it just is not worth it financially to them.
08-09-2013, 10:22 AM
(08-09-2013 09:18 AM)Nutty34 Wrote:  How do you think they can enforce these charges ? Let's say the termination fee as you say is £80 and even if you still had 18 months to run @£10 a month the total liability would still only be £260. No company is going to take anyone to court for that amount it just is not worth it financially to them.
I think you'll find that if they think they can win (i.e. their contract is watertight and reasonable), then they will take you to the small claims court and they will be awarded the court costs, which you have to pay on top of anything you owe. I worked for a retail company who did exactly that for such a sum on a regular basis.
It's always worth reading the small print to understand what you are signing up for. I admit most of us don't bother.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)