Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
My experience leaving the network
25-09-2013, 03:01 PM
My experience leaving the network
Well ive made moves to leave the network my choice was to go with plusnet.

First off signing up was easy but that's where the easy bit changed.

Got a message off plusnet asking for a mac code because there is a existing service on the line.... contacted chess and got as expected they do not issue them and say one is not required.

Told plusnet this and they say without a mac code they are unable to proceed with my order UNLESS I cancel my existing broadband with chess first this would mean being without broadband for maybe a week or two so after a quick call I came up with a solution.

A plusnet broadband install on a existing line with no phone is £50
If you have a new line installed it is £50 but you get free installation with a plusnet phone so I am having a new line installed with plusnet phone and broadband same price as before....

Not ideal but I don't really use the phone except for 0800 calls due to having unlimited calls on mobile so a new number is not really a problem plus I will finally get rid of some calls from a previous owner of the number that must have outstanding debts it don't matter how many times you tell em they have the wrong number they still ring for this one person FIVE YEARS LATER.

When the new line is fitted and broadband enabled I then have to cancel chess and my old line but until that happens I think I may have to load balance both services through pfsense but can't do it long or I might get too used to it lol.

Hopefully I will gain a little on download currently capped at the 70Mb limitation but gonna loose a bit in upload as getting almost 25Mbps but BT fibre only offers upto 20 Mb up so I expect to get pretty much full speeds.

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2013, 03:40 PM
RE: My experience leaving the network
As Digital Region is not an Openreach product, it doesn't need a MAC code so to speak. I think Digital Region is still an SLU product. Long story short, line would have to be ceased first and then the tag off the line to be removed to Plusnet to place the order.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-09-2013, 03:45 PM
(25-09-2013 03:40 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  As Digital Region is not an Openreach product, it doesn't need a MAC code so to speak. I think Digital Region is still an SLU product. Long story short, line would have to be ceased first and then the tag off the line to be removed to Plusnet to place the order.

Yes but I cannot be without so having a second line was really my only option.

25-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Ha .... Yes that is what BT told me but then when the engineer arrived he took over the line in any event and simply disconnected my Chess connection. Worked well really as I had only less than 30 minutes down time.

More than happy with my new infinity 2 connection Smile
25-09-2013, 04:30 PM
(25-09-2013 03:40 PM)SpencerUk Wrote:  As Digital Region is not an Openreach product, it doesn't need a MAC code so to speak. I think Digital Region is still an SLU product. Long story short, line would have to be ceased first and then the tag off the line to be removed to Plusnet to place the order.

I thought I read that this had been solved:

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/upd...lu00913.do
26-09-2013, 12:43 AM
@Hippojay, no idea, last I knew, Openreach didn't officially recognise SLU in their Siebel system.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2013, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2013 05:19 PM by Rich28.)
(25-09-2013 04:30 PM)Hippojay Wrote:  

I thought I read that this had been solved:

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/upd...lu00913.do

I've spoken to Leigh Potts at DR about this and sadly the score on the door is that DR isn't anything to do with BT wholesale, as per the info on that briefing doc. Apparently DR have their own MAC codes which have no relation to MAC codes used by BT/Openreach and that's why its bad news trying to move off DR
26-09-2013, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2013 05:28 PM by tekmobile.)
(26-09-2013 05:17 PM)Rich28 Wrote:  I've spoken to Leigh Potts at DR about this and sadly the score on the door is that DR isn't anything to do with BT wholesale, as per the info on that briefing doc. Apparently DR have their own MAC codes which have no relation to MAC codes used by BT/Openreach and that's why its bad news trying to move off DR

DR only use and issue INTERMAC to change DR ISPs which they do not issue no more so looks like your only options are loose broadband connectivity for a while or have a new line fitted.

If you remain with your current DR ISP they should be able to connect you to BT Wholesale but at a guess under a new 18 Month contract.

26-09-2013, 09:41 PM
@Nutty34 that is similar to what I done - ordered new line and when engineer came he just disconnected everything and reconnected it to new circuit - so old number went which i weren't bothered about and also ripwire - like you i was down for about 30 mins

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
26-09-2013, 10:07 PM
@Mirdragon - Odd mate, BT sales told me over the phone that they could not take over a live line, they ordered a new line then proceeded to take over the existing line just how you described above ... Not really concerned so long as my infinity 2 connection worked ok and it did/does Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)