Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Digital Region closing
21-06-2014, 01:42 PM
RE: Digital Region closing
But lots of exchanges in South Yorkshire are BT fibred. Mine was nearly a year before DR was enabled. I don't know if SY is any worse off than other areas elsewhere in the country. Some exchanges will be less attractive to BT because of Virgin cable competition. We don't have cable in the Mosborough exchange area, and not being one of the poorest areas it often gets roll outs early. Lots of llu on the exchange. I think DR is/was largely irrelevant to BT plans. It's down to economics. DR provided no realistic competition, but virgin does. So no I don't think SY has been shafted, but I'm sure those in notspots will think otherwise.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Virgin overlap doesn't really explain why Sheffield exchange isn't wired though. The entirety of Norfolk Park is without any FTTC option, for example, not to mention swathes of the city centre itself.

People have mentioned proximity to the tram being a problem but DR managed to get it down without any track being dug up?
21-06-2014, 05:44 PM
I know Virgin doesn't explain it all. Large parts of s12 has Virgin but also BT fibre, but high density residential. Isn't Sheffield exchange a bit of a special case? Lots of businesses which pay for leased lines, virgin, plus lots of flats and student accommodation which have been targeted by ask4.
21-06-2014, 06:15 PM
I think you are correct, the Sheffield exchange would be a HUGE risk as they would likely lose most if not all their leased line customers and the limited number of residential signups (the ones outside Virgin/ASK4 areas) would not offset that loss.

I suppose what they SHOULD be doing is offering FTTP instead as they can charge a lot more for it.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2014, 09:12 PM
@somecoolpc

Zen and plusnet both look like good option but the hg612 and 515e should work with most ISP without an issue Wink
22-06-2014, 11:49 AM
(21-06-2014 10:22 AM)hornetman Wrote:  
(21-06-2014 10:18 AM)Ray_Von Wrote:  I also am one of those poor souls who will be shunted back to basic ADSL up to 8mb...BT checker estimates 1.5mb to 4.5mb. Says 2mb but what it really means is that they consider 1.5mb acceptable for my line length.
Before Origin I was with O2 LLU and gett between 2.6mb and just over 3mb.

I contacted my MP on several occasions to press BT on this matter,his response was as BT is a private company there is little the government can do...Sad

Attercliffe(and Sheffield) exchanges are not even on BT's radar to be upgraded to FTTC.
Do you feel that South Yorkshire has been well and truly shafted by BT, the Government and everyone else. I do!!

No I don't.

The South Yorkshire councils/Digital Region had its chance and it screwed it up big time.

We had the funding and wasted it on poor management and lack of advertisement. BT Wholesale Managed Services even offered an olive branch to the councils and they turned their nose up against it.

(21-06-2014 06:15 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  I think you are correct, the Sheffield exchange would be a HUGE risk as they would likely lose most if not all their leased line customers and the limited number of residential signups (the ones outside Virgin/ASK4 areas) would not offset that loss.

I suppose what they SHOULD be doing is offering FTTP instead as they can charge a lot more for it.

Now you've put it that way, it makes sense

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)