Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Modem Query
24-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Question Modem Query
I've now had my Plusnet fibre service activated and it's working great. Smile

When the engineer visited my home, I was at work and had a non-technical relative providing access. After returning from work, I discovered that the engineer has replaced my unlocked HG612 modem with a ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/R and taken the HG612 away! I'd bought the HG612 off Ebay.

Does anyone know if the fibre/cable modem is a free part of the installation? Does it remain the property of the provider?

Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2014, 12:16 PM
RE: Modem Query
It technical is part of the Broadband provision, but to date I have never heard on one being requested back.

So the ECI is not your property, but the HG612 was.

Raise the matter to Plusnet so they can bring it to the attention of Openreach.

Do be aware though it's unlikely you will get it back, nor would you likely get a replacement device. It's more than likely you would receive a refund / credit for the cost of the device.

Just a word of warning. Do you know the original source of the HG612? Was it from an engineer install, unlocked and then sold on eBay?

I ask as technically, the risk does exist that Openreach can claim this was their property to start with. At that time, your claim would be against the eBay seller.
24-08-2014, 12:21 PM
I still use the ECI Smile..My logic..as long as it works haha

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice @prichardson.

I bought the HG612 a couple of years ago in a locked down and unmolested state, complete with its original box.

I've been in touch with the engineer and he is going to see if my modem is still around.

It's no big deal but my house isn't quite the same without that little fella blinking away in the corner. I miss my modem too.
24-08-2014, 07:04 PM
*cough* I miss my service.

Yes I have 4G right now, but instead of clock watching second by second, I am allowance watching byte by byte.
02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Wink RE: Modem Query
Against all the odds, I have my old HG612 back. Big Grin

It went for an all-inclusive week's holiday to Costa Del Kelly and is now safely back at Chez Rigsby.
06-09-2014, 10:57 AM
(02-09-2014 09:45 PM)Rigsby Wrote:  Against all the odds, I have my old HG612 back. Big Grin

It went for an all-inclusive week's holiday to Costa Del Kelly and is now safely back at Chez Rigsby.

nice one - lucky they managed to get the right one back to you

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
06-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Its interesting if they are removing the HG612 for properties as it means I might have a slight chance of being able to request one from the engineer when they come activate my fibre.

Makes you wonder if its engineers selling them on eBay though.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
06-09-2014, 10:28 PM
It dawned on me after creating this thread that 2 of my DSL filters also disappeared when my HG612 did. Not sure why an engineer would take those away too? He could have just left them on the side.

Since the rather dubious install, Plusnet discovered a 'DSL and BRAS Profile Mismatch' on my line and quickly got another engineer out. He has added some kind of junction box under my master socket. Any ideas what this box is for? Does it split the master socket off to my extension? I'll attempt to insert a photo...

Cheers again!
09-09-2014, 06:07 PM
That's awfully messy. I don't understand why they wouldn't just swap it out for the current standard master socket and then jumper everything inside there.

Will have to wait for someone else to come to say if this is remotely normal or not, I certainly know its not typical though.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)