Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
If RiPWiRE Rumours are True....
04-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the quick reply;
If you want the forum, I'll certainly explore changing the titles, domain and whatever else. I assume you already have a forum planned for the future anyway?.
Nice to know its a managed service. Your package states there's a free wireless router?, Any chance of the model number?.
To hit some further questions off, I assume you have no fair usage policy (FUP) yet in place with the network hardly being any under strain?...I think the peak is less than 10% according to my case study on DR. Any traffic management/port restrictions?
So your setup is what RipWire's was when it first started up (no need for a U/N and P/W). So to some point, no RAS.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2012, 02:28 AM
I'm not sure if you would get a reply from SD as I emailed him earlier in week to confirm if received the test router back, usually I get a quick response and so far I've not had any reply.

I know it's not a nice thing to be in this kind of trouble with your business, but if they knew about it and if they were a caring business they must have put things in place ready to help people migrate.

As you say for something so young it is a bad blow, but in all honesty I think DR are partially to blame due to the poor advertising of the network and what is available. The other problem is the current economical climate where a lot of companies are going bust and that includes the big names....

When you think about it BT Infinity was only released December 2011 in various parts of South Yorkshire, yet it seems Plusnet are already using their network, with Talk Talk some time this month becoming available and Sky hopefully from April.

These are all big companies which Digital Region has to go against and be as competative as them otherwise what is going to happen to the other ISP's on the network and Digital Region themselves.

In relation to the migration there should be no reason it should fail based on what Originb say as i've heard of it working

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi,
Np for the quick reply, I am sat here replying to enquiries etc and the phone is nice and quiet, so I can reply to you guys in earnest!
The forum has been on the agenda for a while just getting the community together is the main goal.
We do not have any FUP or traffic management in place. The network is getting more users every day so its growing. Origin will always be investing in better infrastructure and it is a goal to make it free from FUP for as long as we can. As you probably know its far cheaper and more efficient to have the bandwidth capacity than to shape or manage people.
At the moment we are providing a Cellpipe 7130 as standard and a Tenda n150 standard cable DSL router. This is about to change to a all in once device in the coming weeks, but if you search the tweets you can find it. (i've said too much already Tongue)
Hope this helps, but if you need to discuss in greater depth drop us a email or a phone call!Origin

Tel: +44 (0) 800 2062333
Email: [email protected]
04-02-2012, 02:42 AM
I had considered shutting the whole Netscapist domain down, forum included at one stage, but if you want to use this as your support forum, your most welcome to, whilst you get your own setup and on your feet so to speak, i'll happily rebrand and keep it going.
I take it you guys are 24/7 support then?..and here's me thinking you was doing this from home in pure boredom.

Well from my case study, I already know what it is because I did the base recommendation Wink(*cough Yzxel P-2812HNU...I think..may have to go through back my report and double check though *cough*)

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
04-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Further more, I'll send an email in..will be sent shortly.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
04-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Sure Spence,
Ill give it a read!
Origin

Tel: +44 (0) 800 2062333
Email: [email protected]
04-02-2012, 03:53 AM
I'm not sure if you would get a reply from SD as I emailed him earlier in week to confirm if received the test router back, usually I get a quick response and so far I've not had any reply.

I know it's not a nice thing to be in this kind of trouble with your business, but if they knew about it and if they were a caring business they must have put things in place ready to help people migrate.

As you say for something so young it is a bad blow, but in all honesty I think DR are partially to blame due to the poor advertising of the network and what is available. The other problem is the current economical climate where a lot of companies are going bust and that includes the big names....

When you think about it BT Infinity was only released December 2011 in various parts of South Yorkshire, yet it seems Plusnet are already using their network, with Talk Talk some time this month becoming available and Sky hopefully from April.

These are all big companies which Digital Region has to go against and be as competative as them otherwise what is going to happen to the other ISP's on the network and Digital Region themselves.

In relation to the migration there should be no reason it should fail based on what Originb say as i've heard of it working

If I remember right on his email sig there was another contact number. Gonna try them later.
I assume that RipWire would have contacted DR at the earliest possible point. It's just annoying that members have not been made aware. How you can't mass email I do not know.
This is where people are at loggerheads with BT...Although Infinity is now out around South Yorkshire, I bet the take up is similar to what's on DR's at the moment.
Also the councils had this network planned since late 2005 but took so damn long to implement it, gave BT a headstart to beat it. All it takes is placing a Fibre PCP next to the current PCP and DR cab and putting a little advertisement in.
To show what little progress has been made is evident as websites such as SamKnows are now only displaying Digital Region presence...Not to mention no real live checked or speed checker of what you can get bar Origin's nifty checker...An improvement step maybe is to calculate the distance from PCP to NTE to give a more accurate speed estimate instead of broad postcode check?.
What DR does have going for them is that the network isn't congested and when it comes to packages, it can't be presently beat.
Sky will offer unlimited at £20 a month..but this doesn't include line rental which is required payable through them and only a 2mb upload.
BT traffic manage to offer unlimited...Not to mention the BT Wholesale/Openreach network is expecting a major bork for the olympics as they are pepping to buy extra capacity.
But saying that, no good having those positive points if you can't make people aware of it right..

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Well I hope they did receive the router as they are advertising two different addresses of where they are, and I sent it to Magna Way address.

The takeup for infinity if what i was told was true was good and more people are being installed for it than what are currently being done for DR, but you can't always believe what is said.

Everyone knows BT Infinity is there but not DR, as we've all received letters for it, and there is info out their regarding the other many providers (including Plusnet) - You punch in your number on their checkers and you get all details except for DR and not one provider also mentions their is DR possibly available in your area...

I agree BT do TM but so do other ISP's, but DR can be affected as well, unless it was just Ripwire that had the problems with bad latency and slow connections during peak hours.

As I've said, DR need to help advertise the service to make it viable and not leave it just up to the ISP's, and they should have done this from the beginning. If they done it correctly they could have waived connection fees or reduced them for new areas to get many people onboard,

All we can do is move and see how things progress over the next few months and lets hope it does for the benefit of the customers but also for the businesses who are employing staff

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
HiPerhaps we can request our service be transferred to Origin as they seem to be genuinely looking after their customers
04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I spoke to Digital Region on Friday and they said they would be sending letters next week to us all.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)