13-01-2014, 09:53 AM
BDUK Funding for South Yorkshire afterall
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/201...re-uk.html

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Councils Looking To Go BDUK?
Interesting post on the Yorkshire Post this morning.

Would be quite ironic if they finally accepted BT instead of refusing them which they have been doing for the past 2 years.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2014, 02:45 PM
RE: Councils Looking To Go BDUK?
"Better Network" ... my ar$e!!

[Image: swampster.png]
13-01-2014, 03:44 PM
And "at a fraction of the cost" !!!

It's only "a fraction of the cost" because they only need to do "a fraction of the work". The majority of the fibre required is already in place.

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
13-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Light at the end of the tunnel...Confused

Lets hope so,I shudder at the alternative. Sad

Phil.
13-01-2014, 07:55 PM
This must still be over a year away (I can't see the cash appearing in April), so what happens in the interim?
14-01-2014, 12:25 PM
It's absolutley scandalous that BT is going to end up with more taxpayers money to fill in the gaps they've basically deliberately left in their own rollout that will further duplicate a perfectly good and viable network that's already in the gound!

14-01-2014, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 03:14 PM by clifft.)
(14-01-2014 12:25 PM)Swampster Wrote:  It's absolutley scandalous that BT is going to end up with more taxpayers money to fill in the gaps they've basically deliberately left in their own rollout that will further duplicate a perfectly good and viable network that's already in the gound!
Would you rather that the uneconomical exchanges weren't done then? Like it or not, BT run a national utility and a little subsidy here and there, where the sums don't add up, is a benefit to a lot of people all over the country. I don't see how it's scandalous. The only scandal is the amount of money squandered on a white elephant (it might be a good elephant but still white).
14-01-2014, 03:20 PM
(14-01-2014 03:12 PM)clifft Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 12:25 PM)Swampster Wrote:  It's absolutley scandalous that BT is going to end up with more taxpayers money to fill in the gaps they've basically deliberately left in their own rollout that will further duplicate a perfectly good and viable network that's already in the gound!
Would you rather that the uneconomical exchanges weren't done then? Like it or not, BT run a national utility and a little subsidy here and there, where the sums don't add up, is a benefit to a lot of people all over the country. I don't see how it's scandalous. The only scandal is the amount of money squandered on a white elephant (it might be a good elephant but still white).

Have to agree with @clifft tbh.

Its easy to moan when you have plenty of options open to you,but to many of us DR was a Godsend and the only way we could get fibre.I'm not really bothered who takes over the network tbhso long as it enables us to keep getting fibre broadband.
I have pressed my MP who in in turn has pressed BT as to why Attercliffe exchange is not in their fibre rollout plans,the have refused to comment up to date,which from a consumer point of view is very frustrating especially as Attercliffe has over 26000 properties feeding off it.

Phil.
14-01-2014, 04:37 PM
(14-01-2014 03:12 PM)clifft Wrote:  

There are exchanges that are almost certainly economical that haven't been done by BT and not currently even on the roadmap.. and even when they do an exchange it's quite usual that only a relatively low proportion of that exchange's users can actually receive a decen't FTTC connection.

I should point that this 'white elephant' you mention, was the only elephant on the horizon for South Yorkshire when it was being rolled out. BT had no intentions of rolling out any fibre here at the time... and barely anywhere else for that matter. The whole DR project was ambitious, and should have been a great asset for South Yorkshire! Only poor management, bad marketing and BT muscling in once it realised it could be squeezed out of South Yorkshire prevented it from being that asset.

Also in your rush to defend BT & BDUK you also missed my point completely about what I actually deemed to be scandalous. That is to say.. more taxpayers' money is almost certainly going to be given to the shareholders of the incumbent telco that already has a stanglehold on the market in this country; to basically duplicate a perfectly viable, and almost certainly better network that is already in place (and effectively) at present state owned. It's just more waste...

and @Ray_Von... I don't think I meant what you think I meant! And don't be so assured that given this money you'll get any better service than you have already. Even if they do your exchange, as I previously mentioned, it doesn't mean you'll be able to get Fibre.. and for what it's worth, I'm moving house in a couple of weeks time, and I'll probably have worse connectivity than you, Despite there being a DRL cab just around the corner.. which I can not be transferred to. So no I'm not 'moaning' while I have plenty of options!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)