Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Signed up to ripwire's broadband, but they don't seem interested?
02-01-2012, 09:30 PM
@Gouldy, I'm just going to say if you can go with another provider on the network other than Ripwire. I've had issues with them since around Feb 2011 and would not recommend them to anyone anymore.

If you need to be on Digital Region Network then try ASK4 (had dealings with some staff and they have been informative), Origin Broadband (a lot of people recommend them but they would have to convince me before i did), LittleBigOne (a new contender but has traffic shaping in place)

Have you looked at PlusNet or BT - they maybe able to provide the 40mb service in your area

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Mirdragon, I wouldn't go that far as to not recommending them. Granted my first couple of months with Ripwire was hell, but they have improved.
Do we know anything about LittleBigOne's traffic management policy?. It's not very well documented...saying that..there isn't any DR provider that gives proper documentation lol.
I work for Plusnet and whilst I can say that the pricing is competitive, a data usage cap, capped upstream amongst some other small niggles (ie traffic management), doesn't really compare to a Digital Region offering of no data usage cap, uncapped upstream if you want and no traffic shaping on most packages.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
You probably haven't had the experience i have had with them and still having - yes they may have improved but not enough and definitely not enough for me to recommend them to anyone

i used to be with force9 and they were brilliant - i only left them as i got a deal with phone/broadband package before force9 started doing them

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
05-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I rang ripwire today after receiving an email saying my order had been processed despite me ringing up last week and cancelling because they had messed about since the end of November. i hope they dont try and bill me for their incompetence.
on the positive side of things I have been in touch with origin and i am going to place an order with them when another mac key has generated.
07-01-2012, 03:21 PM
@Mirdragon,
My experiences are enough to put anyone off an ISP lol. Plusnet isn't bad, but DR has better offers at the moment.
@Gouldy
I've made an other category for other DR providers on here just incase you or anyone else needs support. Origin give you a free router too from what I can make out.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Nice one Spencer, i will post in the new section when my order has been placed and what happens with Origin
08-01-2012, 05:07 PM
@SpencerUK

Your experiences can't have been as bad as mine to force me to leave the Digital Region Network and move back to BT on their Infinity product

I agree there are good offers with other ISP's on the network, but users will be reluctant to move when there are huge setup fees for transferring compared to moving to back to BT.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

09-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Nice one Spencer, i will post in the new section when my order has been placed and what happens with Origin

If Digital Region really takes off, I will consider putting out a proper forum, but like most folk, still have reservations about this.

@SpencerUK

Your experiences can't have been as bad as mine to force me to leave the Digital Region Network and move back to BT on their Infinity product

I agree there are good offers with other ISP's on the network, but users will be reluctant to move when there are huge setup fees for transferring compared to moving to back to BT.

If I didn't work for Plusnet and didn't have a great deal of faults understanding, I probably would have jumped ship.
Whilst I can appreciate what you are saying re fees, I don't expect Openreach or Digital Region to go out for nothing and place an order. Smaller companies such as the ones Digital Region have would make it next to impossible to inherit those costs. The capital isn't there. If you look at Aquiss for example, they have to push the cost to the customer, Plusnet and BT take some of the grunt with the cost but the offerings are different.
Depends what you want Smile

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
09-01-2012, 06:43 PM
When you switch providers on DR all that happens is a replacement modem is sent with the new configuration and thales make some other changes (afaik), no engineer is required.

I'm moving back to BT for free, if i moved provider on the network i would have been paying at least £75 and after already paying out for original setup fees, monthly cost, replacement equipment, bt engineer it has cost me around £55 - £60 just for broadband on the Digital Region Network, especially as it should only work out to roughly £30 a month (£75 setup + £25 a month).

It was then also banded about that I was using in excess of 250gb a month when I fairly rarely hit 100GB (combined) and that's on a month doing a lot of streaming. All your information seems to get passed on to other ISP's which should not happen (this is based on the information I have received back).

Also unlike Plusnet and every other ISP out there, providers on the digital region network and not regulated by Ofcom (even though Ofcom state they are) based on the information supplied to me from Ripwire.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

09-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Mirdragon, I'm not on about swapping from one DR provider to another. I was referring to an initial set up fee.
Take into consideration the following..When you join someone on the BT Wholesale network for Fibre, they are paying Openreach....when you join someone on DR for an initial install, the ISP is forking out for DR to go out and Openreach to go out. Reason for this is because Openreach have to connect the D side of the PCP (cabinet) to the DR side of things and keep the E side connected.
See where I'm coming from here. I only know this because I've been doing some co-op work with DR. If there wasn't another party involved (DR), then the setup cost would be the same as one on a BT Wholesale network.
In relation to usage, I do about 80/90GB a month and i've not had any kind of issue from RiPWiRE as of yet. Being honest, If I was an ISP and I was using an average of 250GB, I'd be asking serious questions of the user what they are doing on the Internet and whether its legal xD. No offence lol. I believe from a survey last year, the average persons usage was around 40/50gb a month so comparing to yours they would be concerned. It's only natural.
According to a DR summit, early days they were not registered or had agreed to offcom compliance but I believe that's now a requirement.
In the interests of keeping this topic correct, if you would like to further discuss, please open a new topic.. I don't want to see Gouldy's topic taken over. Cheers

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)