Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
RIPWIRE HAS CEASED TRADING
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
i will be staying with DR, id recommend origin because so far the support is really good and you get through to someone who knows what they are talking about Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 05:57 PM
@SpencerUk - if you leave the network you may have problems unlike LLU providers - in December Digital Region had no process in place to be able to generate a MAC to enable you to migrate off the network easily - and because they are SLU they do not come under the current regulations (according to the emails I received from Ripwire) - this was why I had to place order for new number with BT to switch without losing my internet for a period of weeks.

So your only option maybe is to switch to another provider on the network, until Digital Region are able to provide a MAC...

this may have changed since then and Digital Region may be able to produce the MAC so you might want to find this out.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
i will be staying with DR, id recommend origin because so far the support is really good and you get through to someone who knows what they are talking about Smile

I agree, whilst support has been good, I don't want another problem in 6 months time.

@SpencerUk - if you leave the network you may have problems unlike LLU providers - in December Digital Region had no process in place to be able to generate a MAC to enable you to migrate off the network easily - and because they are SLU they do not come under the current regulations (according to the emails I received from Ripwire) - this was why I had to place order for new number with BT to switch without losing my internet for a period of weeks.

So your only option maybe is to switch to another provider on the network, until Digital Region are able to provide a MAC...

this may have changed since then and Digital Region may be able to produce the MAC so you might want to find this out.

Digital Region can still generate a MAC code on behalf of the EU via the Openreach portal as far as I am aware as its classed as an asset on BT's systems.
The other option of it is just to get the new provider to be (example BT, Sky, etc) to "slam" the line.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 07:19 PM
@SpencerUK - they can't - this is why I had problems migrating back to BT - I have the emails to prove it - I also went to Ofcom about this as after 3 weeks I never received it and it was only then when I went back and said I should get it (as line was BT) was I told they cannot product one as Digital Region have no process to do it.

I also contacted Digital Region over this in December and they also confirmed they can't provide MAC's to return to BT.

You can get BT to cease/reconnect the line but they say this could also mean you being without internet for a period of time.

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
05-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I'll quiz a couple of my contacts on this at DR tomorrow if I remember to xD.
Having the relevant BT systems (*cough Openreach cough*), it shows my line is a LLU install and as such, there is an asset. It's more probably DR not knowing what to do in terms of generating one.
Cease and re provide isn't bad when you think of it..X days to cease line (usually 7 max) and then max 10 day provide.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Ofcom also performed the checks for me and said that they should provide within 5 days as my line was still with BT - when I went back and told them this I was told I was being rude for asking for my MAC (due to time they had spent dealing with my issues). The fact was I requested the MAC due to the emails I received and how they handled the tickets.

yeh - but with bt - depending on package you take you can get a new line for free, get it up and running and then port old number across Smile

i agree it not a bad thing but i needed the internet as i sometimes i need to access my work stuff and couldn't have been without it - if i was told in november when i first asked for it i could have got by over the xmas period without internet access

bt can cease and reprovide the line immediately which will remove all the relevant flags, but the problem with this is that they can't guarantee you will keep your number but in 90% of cases you will. I was given this option by BT when I went to them - but because of me wanting to keep the internet active it was better for me to go down new number route which was free Smile

depending on the engineer they will fit new line from pole to the house or may give you the option of disconnecting at the cabinet only (which is what i opted for as was getting dark when they arrived meaning they couldn't go up the pole and would have had to rebook)

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)