Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Anyone getting squeeky bum time with Digital Region?
25-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Question Anyone getting squeeky bum time with Digital Region?
With it being documented earlier this year that there's just about enough money to keep it going until the end of the year and still no clarified stance on the tender, anyone getting that squeeky bum moment where you get the feeling that the network will go down the pan and the councils have just spent about £100 million for almost nothing?

Just curious..because I am.

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2012, 10:34 AM
RE: Anyone getting squeeky bum time with Digital Region?
I think the £100 mil *may* go down the pan, but I don't think the network will. The infrastructure is there and I would think it would be relatively simple for an existing supplier (read BTOR) to pick it up at a knockdown cost and run it alongside their existing network.

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
25-10-2012, 08:27 PM
When i joined it was the best i could get but since then infinity has been made available i would rather stay connected as i am but if DR should go under at least i have a alternative now.

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
25-10-2012, 10:36 PM
God I hope not,otherwise its back to 2.5mb for me....Sad

Been connected with Origin since August and have been very happy.Their support is second to none,best I have ever encountered.

Phil.
26-10-2012, 03:50 PM
(25-10-2012 08:27 PM)tekmobile Wrote:  When i joined it was the best i could get but since then infinity has been made available i would rather stay connected as i am but if DR should go under at least i have a alternative now.

Same here. Although I would HATE to have to choose a new ISP as I suspect none of them would be up to Origins standard.

While I am still not exactly happy at being capped at 70Mbit, at least my connection is reliable.

If I went to BT or Sky I have website blocking, traffic shaping and contention ratios to deal with.

Yeah I know Infinity isn't exactly bad, I just would always prefer to go with a smaller ISP that has less traffic, does less fiddling with the data packets and is more customer focused.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
26-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I think if it wasn't for the problems I had while on the network I may have more or less stayed with on it, but since moving back to BT I've not had any issues with bandwidth, and i'm actually surprised at the amount of video I've been streaming via netflix that my usage ain't gone through the roof.

And come next month when I try Now TV to see what their service is like, I expect it to go even higher

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
31-10-2012, 12:24 PM
More news here

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/201...ment-33622

Quote:The financially troubled Digital Region network, which offers an alternative superfast broadband platform in South Yorkshire (England), can now give local homes and businesses a choice 50+ ISPs after the previously announced Service Exchange Platform (SEP) finally went live.

The publicly owned network, which is currently up for sale (tender) and could within the next couple of months be taken over by either BTWholesale or ETDE SA (full details), has often had difficulty attracting big ISPs on to its platform.

Phil.
01-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Well the tender had ended months ago so I would love to know what the hold up is here.

I'm not liking the vibe I'm getting with this network at the moment. Not far until the end of the year and that's the point where the finances allegedly run out

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
19-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I think they'll bend over and give it to BT.

Something is either in the pipelines or maybe ISP's are holding off. I was on a 80/20 trial with Ask4, and they dropped me off it. When I asked to go back on they just replied "We have no further information about the trial". I also contacted them about a month ago, and for the first time in 12 months Ask4 just didn't reply, at all!

Router: Draytek 2850n ISP: Ask4 (was: 65.96Mb/15.60Mb, now: 38.9Mb/9.40Mb Confused) / Plusnet (10.56Mb/0.74Mb)
19-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Ask 4 really seem to have lost all interest in Digital Region, the other 2 providers are offering 'max' products.

Origin appear to be most active on the forum so it might be worth asking @Origin_Pete or @Originb if this wavering of the installation price applies to moving from one provider to the other?

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)