Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
FTTC and Cable prices for Max packages
17-03-2013, 09:00 AM
RE: FTTC and Cable prices for Max packages
(17-03-2013 03:09 AM)LeJimster Wrote:  1TB a day? Thats beyond insane and surely not typical. I gave up monitoring my bandwidth but I'd probably be happy with 1/2 that a month, nevermind a day.

I would think it meant a month 1TB a day does seem very extreme if I download constantly for a whole day I CAN do just about 600GB and yes I have done this a couple of times in the last 3 years although couldnt get this much when I was on 10/40.

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2013, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2013 10:03 PM by Swampster.)
Hmm.. to be honest, not looked at BT's packages since I left them; but looking at those new packages with no limits.. if they were available round here I'd be tempted to move back.
For basically £5 more than Origin's Max package.. I could get pretty much the same service, plus unlimited telephone & Unlimted TV package, with a brand new Youview box, and a £100 M&S voucher to sweeten the Mrs... Wink

It's a no brainer really, in the face of that.. once BT do start epxanding their coverage I can't see how any SYDR ISP could even remotely begin to compete.

Alas, not likely to see them round here anytime soon...

[Image: swampster.png]
17-03-2013, 09:56 PM
(17-03-2013 08:20 PM)Swampster Wrote:  Hmm.. to be honest, not looked at BT's packages since I left them; but looking at those new packages with no limits.. if they were available round here I'd be tempted to move back.
For basically £5 more than Origin's Max package.. I could get pretty much the same service, plus unlimited telephone & Unlimted TV package, with a brand new Youview box, and a £100 M&S voucher to sweeten the Mrs... Wink

It's a no brainer really, in the face of that.. once BT do start exanding their coverage I can't see how any SYDR ISP could even remotely begin to compete.

And you get 50GB free Cloud Storage - but totally agree unless the ISP's on digital region start bringing prices down, they network will lose out to the bigger companies who can provide the same or more for a cheaper price..

And as you say it's a no-brainer to get the full package from BT for the cost -I have the whole package with multi-room (currently not officially supported but it works) as have 2 youview boxes.

Also with BT and other providers you can manage your account online, which is something that AFAIK is still not possible with the ISP's on Digital Region.

And I can't wait for BT to add the linear channels to their Youview Line-Up later in the year

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
18-03-2013, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2013 09:22 PM by bgnx.)
mirdragon Wrote:Also with BT and other providers you can manage your account online, which is something that AFAIK is still not possible with the ISP's on Digital Region.

Can manage basic account things on ASK4 online, https://myaccount.ask4.com

Ability to raise support tickets, download past bills etc.
21-03-2013, 07:33 PM
(17-03-2013 09:56 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  Also with BT and other providers you can manage your account online, which is something that AFAIK is still not possible with the ISP's on Digital Region.

I find Origins website very poor,apart from telling you how much their packages cost and a contact number there is very little else...

This is imo another reason why people are reluctant to sign up with DR isp's.Not much substance when you visit their websites.

Most (even small isp's) have online support where you can raise a ticket as well as telephone support...

Phil.
21-03-2013, 11:42 PM
I have about 7 month left on my contract with @littlebigone and unless I see the either 70Mb limits removed so I can get the highest my line can support like when I joined or a price drop then I will be leaving for maybe BT Infinity.

saying that could I use the 70Mb limitation as a get out clause because my contract was for what my line could handle and this has since been replaced with up to 70Mb which is not what I signed up for ?

[Image: livetag_409452.png]
22-03-2013, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 06:06 AM by alexatkin.)
(17-03-2013 08:20 PM)Swampster Wrote:  Hmm.. to be honest, not looked at BT's packages since I left them; but looking at those new packages with no limits.. if they were available round here I'd be tempted to move back.

It's a no brainer really, in the face of that.. once BT do start epxanding their coverage I can't see how any SYDR ISP could even remotely begin to compete.

I am holding on waiting for my line to be unlocked to 100Mbit, to be honest I'm starting to get a bit pissed off with Digital Region for not sorting that out. So much for removing the 70Mbit cap, like everything else on DR it seems that has come to a standstill.

If BT decide to launch an Infinity Max I may consider moving because this is just stupid. I love that Origin are completely uncapped, do not block any websites, are a local company, etc. But I switched to Max expecting much faster than 65MBit when I am only a few hundred metres from the cabinet. It might seem petty, but the fact its a full 10Mbit short of Infinity really annoys the hell out of me.

Of course I don't blame Origin for that, but ultimately they will the be ones who suffer if I get fed up and move. Not really at that point yet but I wouldn't say I am happy either.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Maybe I'm not looking at this right but your comparing @OriginB here to very well established companies. In my experience, you will always find that smaller companies (no disrespect to Origin here) will be more expensive because large companies like Sky/BT, etc can offset the cost a little. Saying that however if the company was more expensive I'd expect something extra for my custom.

Example;

That's Zen's packages. When compared to say something like Plusnet, they are MEGA expensive. However they pretty much IMO best in class for customer service, offer callback schemes, Service Status *cough*, etc. I don't know what Origins ideas/plans are but they need to do something different that other folks don't do.

If I was the average person living in an area with ADSL, BT FTTC, DR FTTC and Virgin Media cable i'd be going for whoever offers the best, value for money deal.

If I compared Plusnet's unlimited to say Origin's Max package which is essentially the same thing, the average family is going to go to Plusnet, not because of brand, but for value for money.

Does anyone not think the same or am I on my own on this one?

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2013, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 03:02 PM by essenby.)
I with you Spencer. Much as I "lurve" my @OriginB connection, and tout it everywhere I can, if PlusNet had been able to offer fibre it would have been a no brainer, I'd still be with them. I'd been with PN for a LONG time and though we had out "brushes" there was never anything I could point out to as poor service.

They are only resellers after all - and if BT/OR won't shift their rear ends there's not a lot PN or any other ISP can do really. And the majority of "complaints" I saw in their forums were based on poor speed (which for the most part were a lot better then mine Confused) or disagreement over what was interpreted as "fair use". Some people seem to want to be able to shift data around the network in ISP sized chunks. Short of selling hosting on their own home based servers I can't imagine what they needed the bandwidth for. Big Grin

Barrie_____________________________________
Dreaming the Life rather than Living the Dream Big Grin
22-03-2013, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 05:14 PM by mirdragon.)
I totally agree with you on this @SpencerUK and something I've always been saying that and if DR and ISP's on the network lower their prices they should do well, but I can't see anyone paying £10 a month more with @OriginB to receive the same service from Plusnet/Sky/BT or TalkTalk

It's like I'm with BT for my connection due to costs, if Sky FTTC was available at the time I would have gone with Sky. As it is, as the service I'm receiving is what I should expect then I seen no reason to move to another ISP for the time being

Mirdragon
Forum Moderator

ISP: BT|Modem:HG612 (Modded)|Router: Smoothwall|Sync: 68Mbit/18Mbit
Network: HP Procurve|4 x TP-Link AP
Mobile: Nexus 4+6|Tab 3 8"|Asus VivoTab+Transformer TF101
Media Services: SkyHD|Xbox One|ChromeBox (OpenElec)|Samsung BDH6500|Youview|Netflix
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)