Poll: Have You Found This Useful?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Origin Broadband No Connection Guide UPD 05/09/2014
15-08-2014, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 10:40 PM by SpencerUk.)
Origin Broadband No Connection Guide UPD 05/09/2014
Welcome To The Origin Broadband No Connection Bible

As customers of Origin Broadband will now no doubt be aware of, at 00:23 today the Digital Region network side of customers connections were "cut off" this morning. In August 2013 the Digital Region was to close exactly a year later (14th August 2014) due to growing losses and lack of customers using the network.

ISP's ASK4, Chess Telecom & Origin Broadband were made aware in August 2013 and given notice to start making plans. The formers listed had managed to migrate all customers off the platform leaving just Origin Broadband left...However in July, Origin did not provide sufficient communication of notice to customers about what was happening to their service.

You can see the communication sent out from Origin Broadband Here. The forum team had investigated this communication with Ofcom who deemed it not to be sufficient enough to be classed as being given 30 days notice and as a result, in breach of contract. You can find this thread here.

So now we're at the point of disconnection.

What's The Quickest Way For Me To Get Back Online?

* The quickest way for you to get back online is to call up a new provider of your choice and take out what is known as a "new install" with them. With a new install, you would have a new telephone line connected up to your house alongside your defunct Origin one, a new telephone number as well. Alongside this you'll pay line rental for this line as well as Broadband and calls to one provider. Timescales can vary due to how fast Openreach can get out to your premises.

Why Can't I Just Get a MAC Code And Migrate To Another Company

* The easy way to answer this is to put it blunt. It's hard getting a MAC code from Origin in the first place. The service asset is still on your line, just the Digital Region equipment is turned off so technically you can still get a MAC code from Origin Broadband but Origins wait times to get through to an advisor is around an hour..on top of that they need to request it in which is takes up to 5 working days...Some people have been waiting over 3 weeks....So lets face it, you won't get it any time soon!.

If you currently have a MAC code from Origin and you have not used it, I have had it confirmed by ISP's you can still use this MAC code to migrate from Origin onto an ADSL platform. My reccommendation right now is to either Migrate to Zen or Andrews&Arnold as these appear to be the only 2 companies who know how to migrate a Digital Region connection back to the BT network.

Very Important Note: When you give your MAC code to your new provider, you need to inform them that this is an "SLU MAC Code" and they need to follow the BT Brief on how to migrate you here

Update 24/8/14:

Origin have had a batch of MAC Codes delivered this week so it may be worth calling through to them to see if they have had a MAC generated in a batch that was sent off pre Digital Region closure.

Ok, I Don't Have A MAC Code And I Don't Wan't To Take Out A New Line With A New ISP, What Options Do I Have?

* Right, here's where it gets complicated. As your service is cut off, it doesn't mean you can migrate to another provider just like that. On your line there's a marker which says that XX ISP provides you a Broadband connection (kind of like a mortgage provider puts an interest on your deeds with the land registry). That marker has to be removed before you can place an order with another ISP.

The problem here is that nobody knows when these markers will come off so I can't really provide a timescale as to when your line is free. HOWEVER!....MASSIVE HOWEVER;

1: If you contact a reputable ISP (Andrews & Arnold mainly on this one), you can ask them to call the "BT Tags Helpdesk" to advise that you have left Origin Broadband and you would like to place an order with them but need the line clearing. 9/10 they will do the dirty work to remove the tag for you so they can place an order. As @Ray_Von can testify, Andrews & Arnold are a great company with amazing support and packages are on a monthly contract.

2: You join a company such as TalkTalk/Sky and give them permission to "slam your line"..This is where all your services are taken over..Landline, the whole lot over to them and because its done a certain way, you'll not have to wait for your tag to be removed. Note, Ofcom frown upon the use of slamming but if you give permission to your new ISP, I'm sure they'll be ok with it.

Update 24/8/14: If you're new ISP is unwilling to go down the tag removal route themselves, you can cite the "Ofcom Tag Removal Guidelines" to them which we all fall into.

No ISP will help me remove my tag and insist on a new line install which I don't want. What Can I do? (5/9/14)

Some users have reported some luck in in which you get a response from his PA who will look into the issue and possibly get the wheels in motion to remove the tag from the line. If all else fails this is worth a shot, however its not a guaranteed method of removing the tag.

I've Been Asked To Return My Equipment To Origin, How Do I Go About Doing This?

* @prichardson (thanks!) has made a post here that answers this problem.

Who Do I Complain To About Origin Broadband?

* CISAS. Complaint form and guide can be found here. You can potentially claim damages too for any loss suffered. Please note, you will need to log a formal complaint with Origin to get this ball started first and give them ample time to resolve before going to CISAS.

Do You Recommend Any Specific Providers? (5/9/14)

* Everyone has good and bad experiences with each ISP so we won't really recommend any ISP. HOWEVER saying that here's a mini list below that are worth looking at;

BT Retail (Iffy support but generally ok)
Plusnet (Part of the BT Group - cheaper than BT Retail, iffy support at times)
Sky (Good if you have Sky TV already)
TalkTalk (Cheap but iffy support)
AAISP (Expensive but great customer service)
Zen (Good customer service, same price as BT Retail)
Aquiss (Great customer service but expensive..unlimited bandwidth unlike AAISP though)

Make sure though you do check out Quidco or TopCashBack as you may be able to get some cashback on some deals

What Do You Think I Should Do?

* I can't really speak for you in that. Below are Forum staff's opinions. Please note, it's only our opinions, what you do is up to you!.

SpencerUk: Unless you are willing to stay with Origin, I wouldn't bother calling them. There's nothing they can really do. Sure you can call them to see when if at all they plan to remove the marker from your line, but they won't be able to give an answer as I don't think anyone knows yet. You can by all means PM me your landline number and I can check for you if there's any orders on your line for the marker to come off (matter of fact, that may be the best thing!), but I don't think it would hurt to give Andrews & Arnold a ring or even Zen to get you migrated over to them via assistance with the tags helpdesk and then once with them, maybe migrate out to another company (ie Plusnet) if you find the cost of them too expensive for your liking. It's probably your best option and being looked after is probably what you need alongside a connection about now. If for whatever reason you are confused, by all means PM me or respond to this thread, I'll take the time out to respond..hell if you make me a cup of tea, I'll even come over and go through options with you!....Yeah I'm such a nice guy haha.

Chalky: I was lucky enough to escape all of this by moving house a few months and deciding not to take Origin Broadband with me, I sympathise with everyone having issues right now and wish things could be different. I moved over to Plusnet when I moved house and have had excellent service from them so would recommend them. There has however been a bit of mis-communication with them over the SLU MAC Codes so they might be a better option for new lines, etc.

I've had reports that apparently it is still possible to get hold of a MAC code even today, but I really don't think you're going to be able to get through to Origin Broadband to even start the requesting process and the chances of them actually relaying it to you are even slimmer!

A lot of customers are talking about refunds and Direct Debits. Origin operate an unusual policy of charging 2 months in advance, something I was never happy about when I was a customer. Therefore your end of July/beginning of August Direct Debit is actually in advance for September. You've therefore in effect paid for a service that you can't possibly get for one and a half months. Under the Direct Debit Guarantee you can ring your bank, make a Direct Debit Indemnity Claim and get a full and immediate refund for any error made.

You're certainly fully entitled to have the money back for September if you are not going to continue taking any services from Origin. It would be up to you if you also want to claim for the August bill (paid in July) although you have got half a months service. I'm not sure you can prorata a Direct Debit Indemnity Claim. You could perhaps claim the full amount and then wait for Origin to contact you to discuss paying for the 14 days of service you did actually get. I can't advise this, but it's an option to consider.

midragon: As @SpencerUK says, I don't think calling Origin will do any good, but I do suggest if you have your phone line with Origin you check their T&C's as you may not be able to get out of this agreement without paying for the remaining months of the contract. IMO if you took out landline rental and calls as part of a package with the broadband then you should be able to cancel all services as they were supplied as single service agreement without any penalty to you.

But as Origin have already breached their own contracts, then all users should be able to migrate to whoever they want without penalty (but please check OFCOM, don't take our word for it)

Remember if you get a new line installed you will still be paying for old line, so get it cancelled once you know new line is installed and working with internet service - you will lose number but this will prevent any issues with tags on the line and some providers (BT) will install new line free if taking our broadband + line rental. Also if you have BT 1571 linked to your mobile get this cancelled before you cancel old line otherwise you can have problems getting it switch to new number.

The other option is to wait and see what you can do with current line and get it slammed and move provider, but again their is a risk of you losing your number.

Luckily for me, I left a while back and went for new line as was provided free via BT and wasn't bothered about losing number. Been with BT now since January 2012 and only had a few issues and very happy with the internet service. Their billing on the other hand is not brilliant and would say go full bill payment on monthly basis so you know what you have to pay, as the payment plan can leave you out of pocket (ie I've just changed services to being cheaper and payments went up not down). You can also on regular basis renew your contract so can get on better deals (usually no charge for doing this, but you lose any previous benefits)

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 07:22 PM
RE: Origin Broadband No Connection Guide
The slam you're line option sounds interesting. If you said this to sky when placing an order would they know what your taking about? Or just hang up thinking you've gone nuts.

Also would this work if you already have sky for everything apart from broadband ?
Find all posts by this user
15-08-2014, 07:25 PM
@agentwalker

Slamming is essentially where the new ISP takes over your line rental first and then Broadband instead of Broadband first and then Line rental.

If you have line rental with Sky already, you could ask them to complete a "stop start" on your line..This can remove your Broadband marker from your line. Same goes if your line rental is with anyone for that matter..even BT, you can ask them to do that and it should remove the marker from your line. They may charge you to do it, but if it gets your marker off quicker so you can get Broadband with someone and back online, does it matter!

Regards
Spencer Davies
Administrator
[Image: 3552242034.png][Image: 3740977595.png]
16-08-2014, 08:21 AM
I've updated this thread to include some information about Direct Debits as there is a lot of talk about this on Facebook.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

16-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Chalky,

You quote "Origin operate an unusual policy of charging 2 months in advance".

Where does this come from, as I cannot locate any info specific to this?
16-08-2014, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2014 05:51 PM by Chalky.)
This comes from personal experience and if you search through the forums you will see several of our users not being happy about this taking place.

When I get home I'll dig out a bill and show what I mean after removing personal information.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough

16-08-2014, 08:35 PM
OK so I dug out a bill as an example.

Here you can see that on the 19th March I got a Direct Debit notice to say that on 1st April a payment will be taken out to cover the month of May.

Thus 2 months in advance as I specified.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

17-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Something maybe for this FAQ type item.

Origin have asked me to return my hardware. Do I need to?

Point 2.3 of Origins residential terms and conditions states that equipment supplied remains the property of Origin at all times.

The exception to this is point 8.4. This essentially states that if you do not return the equipment within 14 days of termination, Origin may charge you £40 inclusive of VAT for each piece of equipment they supplied, at which point the device becomes the customers property.

At this point, it will really come down to what equipment you have been supplied with.

If you have been supplied a piece of equipment such as a Zyxel router that you attach direct to your phone line from Origin, or a Tenda router, then yes they would need to be returned.

However, if you have been supplied with a Cellpipe modem, that connects to another router, you do not need to return this to Origin.

What do I do with the Cellpipe

The Cellpipe modem is and shall remain the property of Digital Region Limited. The device does not belong to, nor should you supply this to Origin unless Digital Region Limited requests that you do so.

Digital Region Limited did sell some of it's assets to Geo Networks, but it is unclear if the Cellpipe CPE was included with this.

Regardless, Origin have not purchased these assets and do not have a right to request them.
17-08-2014, 06:12 PM
(17-08-2014 05:50 PM)prichardson Wrote:  Something maybe for this FAQ type item.

Origin have asked me to return my hardware. Do I need to?

Point 2.3 of Origins residential terms and conditions states that equipment supplied remains the property of Origin at all times.

The exception to this is point 8.4. This essentially states that if you do not return the equipment within 14 days of termination, Origin may charge you £40 inclusive of VAT for each piece of equipment they supplied, at which point the device becomes the customers property.

At this point, it will really come down to what equipment you have been supplied with.

If you have been supplied a piece of equipment such as a Zyxel router that you attach direct to your phone line from Origin, or a Tenda router, then yes they would need to be returned.

However, if you have been supplied with a Cellpipe modem, that connects to another router, you do not need to return this to Origin.

What do I do with the Cellpipe

The Cellpipe modem is and shall remain the property of Digital Region Limited. The device does not belong to, nor should you supply this to Origin unless Digital Region Limited requests that you do so.

Digital Region Limited did sell some of it's assets to Geo Networks, but it is unclear if the Cellpipe CPE was included with this.

Regardless, Origin have not purchased these assets and do not have a right to request them.

I still have a cell pipe and a TP-link router which technically belong to Origin. However, they still owe me a refund for August, which when they have repaid, they can then arrange to collect their equipment. there's no way I'm going out of my way to accommodate them.
17-08-2014, 06:22 PM
I believe its Origins responsibility to return the Cellpipe to whoever now owns them so they DO have a right to ask for them back.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)