Poll: Have You Found This Useful?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Origin Broadband No Connection Guide UPD 05/09/2014
17-08-2014, 08:15 PM
RE: Origin Broadband No Connection Guide
Technically, I beg to differ

1.9. ‘Service Equipment’ means any equipment which is the property of Origin Broadband

2.3. The service equipment shall remain the property of Origin Broadband at all times except as provided in clause 8.4

According to the printed sleeve of the Cellpipe.

Quote:This equipment is provided to you and remains the property of Digital Region Limited. If you experience any technical problems with this equipment then please contact your service provider.

Under this definition, this equipment is not Origins and the return could not be mandated / enforced through their T&C's.

If Digital Region Limited want it to be returned, then by all means, let them make that request to me.

Some further reading makes for some additional entertainment though.

8.4. In the event of the agreement being terminated and the customer failing to comply with clause 4.1 (k), within fourteen days of the date of the termination, the Customer shall pay to Origin the sum of forty pounds inclusive of VAT for each piece of Service Equipment that has been provided and in default, the equipment shall become the property of the Customer who shall no longer be under the obligation to return it.

4.1 k) To allow Origin Broadband or its duly appointed agents access to the customer’s premises for the purpose of installation, programming and maintenance or any other reasonable purpose related to provision of service.

Service is post-install, there is nothing to program and Origin no longer provide a service against any of our lines, thus nothing to maintain. The service is no longer provided, so there is no longer any reasonable purpose to gain access.

With this in mind, no customer that is cancelling could be in breach of condition 4.1k.

As condition 8.4 is qualified that charges will apply on where the two conditions are met (i.e. cancellation and failure to provide access), Origin cannot enforce that any payment of £40 is made.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 11:11 AM
I too have been asked to return my Zyxel router.

I'll do it no problems but surely as Origin have totally broken the terms of the agreement already, all other parts of the agreement become null and void.
18-08-2014, 12:22 PM
9.3 In the event that any part of this agreement should be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, the remaining parts of this agreement shall remain in force as if the invalid, illegal or unenforceable part had been omitted from the Agreement.

As such, any portions of the terms Origin have breached cannot be enforced. All other elements of it could.

They state that if you have requested cancellation, they will effect the termination date as of 15th August. i.e. as if the 14th was the last day of service and you had requested the termination 30 days before.

Due to this, the terms require that you return the device within 14 days of this date. However, as you did not request until after, you could legally treat the 14 days from the point you are notified to return it.

However, I have advised them I will be withholding the device from return until such a time that I am satisfied they have concluded all other reminants of the contract, which will include the removal of the Tag from the line. Only once this is done, will I commence their 14 days return.

I am doing this on the basis that although the termination date was the 15th, they have not fulfilled the termination in full whilst the tag remains.

They could if they wish attempt to enforce charging us for the device from August 29th, but might find themselves on shaky grounds with such an attempt.
18-08-2014, 01:31 PM
A question- I am in discussions with Xilo whose name I got from ISPReview. He advised that I should just cancel my line with BT. Then once the markers have gone (they will, he says) order a new line (which is the hardware). I lose my number of course and would be without the phone for a day or two. I called BT and they told me the markers had already gone, so no need to action this. Is this an option for others? And- any feedback on Xilo? From Sheffield, but not sure if that is a good thing after my experience of supporting a local company!!
18-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Other than them blocking Origin Broadband connections on their Speedtest.net server, I've had no other dealings with Xilo.

ISP: Plusnet | Router: Mikrotik 2011UAS-2HnD-IN | Sync: 50Mbit/15Mbit | PCP: 600m | Exchange: Mosborough
Server: HP Microserver, Aspire V5-171
PC: MacBook Pro, ThinkPad X220
OD: Plex, Chromecast, Roku 2 XS, NowTV, YouView, PS4
Mobile: iPad, LG G3, Nexus 5

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Just a word of caution.

BT may be saying the line is free for an order, however they may only be checking the simplified public information on this.

For example, if you use the following page.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It will not tell you about any hidden markers and suggest you can place an order. This is the same situation as with my line.

However, in other systems and to the actual order process itself, it may show information that confirms you are blocked.

FYI. Anybody wishing to share there phone number and postcode with me, I can check for markers for you. Only do this if you are sure you are willing to share it with me though (though I wont share it onwards). If you do do this, ensure you send it over a private message and not in the public forum.
18-08-2014, 02:06 PM
(18-08-2014 01:48 PM)Chalky Wrote:  Other than them blocking Origin Broadband connections on their Speedtest.net server, I've had no other dealings with Xilo.

I tried to contact them about that and they never responded. However when I reported it to speedtest.net they blocked their server completely as you aren't allowed to play favourites and it magically re-appeared a month or so later, working again on Origin.

[Image: alexatkin.png][Image: referral-ad-120x60.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Quote: The quickest way for you to get back online is to call up a new provider of your choice and take out what is known as a "new install" with them.
If I were to ring BT (my Telco) and ask them to do a cease/provide on my line, would that remove the digital region tag?
Thanks
Tony
18-08-2014, 02:46 PM
A stop/start process will indeed clear the marker. Infact, I am planning a stop/start myself.

It will take upto 10 working days from the stop for the tag to clear though. But at least you can be assured it will go, other than the hope and prey like all others are waiting on.

Your next problem is asking BT to do it. I can gurentee they actually wouldn't understand why somebody would want to do it. Once explained to them, the next person actioning this in the chain would also not understand why somebody would want this.

Rinse, repeat.

Warning, going from a problem with Origing to a problem with Origin & BT could just make things worse.
18-08-2014, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 03:17 PM by teejayuu.)
Quote:Warning, going from a problem with Origin to a problem with Origin & BT could just make things worse

If I can get this done, why would there be a problem? Surely the Stop clears everything off the line and the start gives me a clean slate...doesn't it? I figure I'm going to be without broadband until and the only people who ring my landline are parents and in-laws then I may actually be better off.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

• View a Printable Version
  • Send this Thread to a Friend
  • Subscribe to this thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)