Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - SpencerUk - 16-05-2012 04:52 PM

(16-05-2012 02:19 PM)aceado Wrote:  
(16-05-2012 11:47 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  The ideal situation is Thales to come out themselves and explain but they will be too afraid of that and insist on pussy footing ™ about!.

Love it!

(16-05-2012 03:53 PM)Chalky Wrote:  
(16-05-2012 11:47 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  The ideal situation is Thales to come out themselves and explain but they will be too afraid of that and insist on pussy footing about!.

I think there's more chance of this happening:

[Image: Flying_Pig.jpg]

haha!

(16-05-2012 04:35 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  
(16-05-2012 12:59 AM)Bald_Eagle1 Wrote:  [quote='alexatkin' pid='2508' dateline='1337101391']
I would have had some graphs but I couldn't find the scripts, just lots of people talking about them. Grrrr.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10552.0.html

Apparently the Cellpipe is more or less identical to the HG612, so may be possible to easily unlock?

Where are the original Linux scripts as I STILL can't find them?

I want to keep them on hand in case pigs DO fly and Thales actually back down and agree to let me use the DG612 after all. (yeah I know, fat chance)

Quote:No callback from DR yet, although I'm not sure what will come of it anyway.

Doesn't surprise me.

Quote:I certainly am going to make it a point to complain about how Thales have dealt with this.

Most likely they will switch their brain off and just nod away lol.

Quote:All I wanted was:

a) I want to know that if I pay £10/month more for my connection that I AM getting the maximum my line can handle, not something less. Talking to Origin its been clear from the start that Thales do not give them the information they would need to reassure me of this.

They didn't know Thales applied interleaving to my line, that I WAS already on profile 17a, or that the speed cap was applied at the DSLAM by capping the maximum sync speed. All things I found out within seconds of plugging in the DG612, things which are useful for Origin to know to improve their customers connections especially for the Max trial.

b) I wanted to know why people on Infinity have lower latency than me.

c) I want to be able to poll the sync speed so I can use QoS on my router. If you do not know the current connections bandwidth capability, you either throttle too high (effectively not doing any QoS at all) or too low (you get a lesser service than necessary).

A: Totally agree

B: Meh - everyone has there own reasons Smile

C: True

Quote:I will stick the Cellpipe now I know I have no choice, but it doesn't mean I'm going to stop complaining about it.

Don't agree with that, you have a choice whether to use it or not. Don't let some BS stop you. I've been using an Openreach modem on my DR line for over 2 months and they ain't said diddly squat.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 16-05-2012 08:52 PM

Just had a call from Richard Jepson at Digital Region who assured me that they will NOT disconnect customers for using their own VDSL equipment.

The confusion seems to have come due to the contract between Digital Region and the ISP stating that you MUST keep the Cellpipe plugged in or Digital Region can cease the line. However in reality they will NOT do that, like Be, Infinity, etc, they only mandate that if you have a technical problem with your line you MUST plug the Cellpipe back in for them to diagnose it.

He also said he had no problem with me putting the instructions back up here for how to setup the HG612 as long as I make the above clear and that they absolutely do not under any circumstances support or endorse us using our own equipment.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - SpencerUk - 16-05-2012 09:26 PM

Common sense has finally prevailed!

Find it rather amusing Mr Jepson & co didn't put a statement up publicly though...doesn't exactly cover themselves in glory does it..Still shows that they also pussy foot about!.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 16-05-2012 09:40 PM

The problem seems to be that Digital Region are not supposed to be customer facing, they are just the top management of the project.
Thales aren't customer facing either, which just leaves your ISP whose contract says "customer must use Cellpipe".

So the only real option is for Digital Region/Thales to inform the ISPs not to panic if their customers use alternative hardware but to continue to discourage it. Which is basically the same as pretty much every other ISP in the country.

Its far from ideal, but after chatting with Mr Jepson I can see how its far more complicated than you first think.

At least Origin should be able to confidently tell their more technical users that its safe to do now.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 16-05-2012 11:20 PM

As @SpencerUK says, commonsense has prevailed.

Even myself with BT I've used my own equipment and when problems occur I place theirs back online for testing purposes.

I have my router and their HomeHub configured the same in regards to my internal networking, which saves me having to reconfigure my network devices everytime I swap routers.

I am looking at going back to my smoothwall to act as full firewall system

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Bald_Eagle1 - 16-05-2012 11:55 PM

(16-05-2012 04:35 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Where are the original Linux scripts as I STILL can't find them?

I want to keep them on hand in case pigs DO fly and Thales actually back down and agree to let me use the DG612 after all. (yeah I know, fat chance)

The Linux script (snapshot graphs only) is named graph.sh

Having just checked the download site, I see it is missing.
I'll ask asbokid to restore it a.s.a.p. & confirm when it is back again.

Somehow Google had lost all the documents & asbo has only recently reloaded them. He must have missed that one by mistake Sad

EDIT:

FWIW, the Windows scripts apparently work perfectly in a Windows VM (XP upward) on a linux box.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - LeJimster - 17-05-2012 01:15 AM

(16-05-2012 08:52 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Just had a call from Richard Jepson at Digital Region who assured me that they will NOT disconnect customers for using their own VDSL equipment.

The confusion seems to have come due to the contract between Digital Region and the ISP stating that you MUST keep the Cellpipe plugged in or Digital Region can cease the line. However in reality they will NOT do that, like Be, Infinity, etc, they only mandate that if you have a technical problem with your line you MUST plug the Cellpipe back in for them to diagnose it.

He also said he had no problem with me putting the instructions back up here for how to setup the HG612 as long as I make the above clear and that they absolutely do not under any circumstances support or endorse us using our own equipment.

Amazing.. An intelligent person works @ Digital Region... Who wudda thunk it.

(16-05-2012 11:20 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  I am looking at going back to my smoothwall to act as full firewall system

Nice, I use IPCop which used to be Smoothwall or visa/versa I forget. I did try pfsense for a day or two, but couldn't get it work how I wanted.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Bald_Eagle1 - 17-05-2012 09:00 AM

(16-05-2012 11:55 PM)Bald_Eagle1 Wrote:  I'll ask asbokid to restore it a.s.a.p. & confirm when it is back again.

FYI, graph.sh is back on the download site.

It is an old version (2.1) for now.

(Only goes to tone 4000 for 17a profiles).
A quick edit, changing the XMAX variable to 4096 would fix that as a temporary measure though.

The current Linux version is 2.2 which will hopefully re-loaded soon.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 17-05-2012 12:09 PM

I will stick a copy on my VPS and include a link on page 1 of this thread, once its up.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - prichardson - 17-05-2012 07:40 PM

I found my console cable with the jack similar to the console on the Cellpipe. Not quite the same unfortunately.

I'm not digging in that mess ever again though, but I did find my power pack for my Empeg (thick the Spectrum ZX of the In Car MP3, very old, google it). Shame it isn't working LSad