Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - fibretyke - 28-03-2014 12:09 AM

(07-03-2014 11:02 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Anyway I have just upgraded to the experimental modified version of the latest BT firmware with the web interface put back in and the BTAgent removed. I haven't tried changing anything from the web interface (don't really need to) but otherwise it seems to be working fine.
I bought an ECI V-2/r modem to pair with my cab as I read some rumours that matching equipment can sometimes give better results. It wasn't faster but it's been nice and stable for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday morning, I downloaded this latest firmware to my HG612 and swapped the modems back over to compare: Results aren't good so far, I got a better initial sync, but after exactly 24h the DLM throttled it back and applied a huge increase to my downstream interleaving (from 861 to 2487). I've even got some interleaving on the upstream now, and that was previously on fastpath.Undecided

So I'm giving it a few days, just to make sure the high interleaving isn't a knee-jerk reaction by the DLM to my swapping out the modems, then if things don't change significantly I'm going back to the ECI. Just a shame you can't easily unlock and take stats from the newer 'r' version.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 28-03-2014 02:53 AM

Its interesting that you had 861 before yet none on upstream, I don't think DLM was that clever on old ADSL2+ (although I didn't know where to look for interleaving depth back then).

I wonder how good/short the line has to be for DLM to pick fastpath? I'm still not looking forward to moving to the BT cabinet.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - fibretyke - 28-03-2014 07:37 PM

(28-03-2014 02:53 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  Its interesting that you had 861 before yet none on upstream, I don't think DLM was that clever on old ADSL2+ (although I didn't know where to look for interleaving depth back then).

I wonder how good/short the line has to be for DLM to pick fastpath? I'm still not looking forward to moving to the BT cabinet.
Even now, I've got less than 200 depth on upstream with the 2400+ downstream. Hope it doesn't take too long to recover, because I have around 40ms latency now. I was getting low 20s before, same as on DR.

No more stats now as I've had to swap straight back to the ECI modem - I had issues with IPTV last night. Don't know if it's the new unlocked firmware or just the fact that I'm using a non-BT router, but last night it was breaking up on HD channels. Logged into the traffic monitor on my router and observed the bandwidth being taken by the stream had exactly doubled on every channel (2200KB/s vs 1100 for HD). Tried a youview box reboot - no change. Router reboot - no change. Swapped modem back to ECI - immediately back to normal.

I should add that my router's traffic monitor isn't infallible, and unicast streams from such as YouTube, iPlayer etc don't even show up on it, but there was definitely some kind of an issue with multicast when pairing my router with the hacked HG612. Would love to know the explanation.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 28-03-2014 09:31 PM

Someone did suggest the latest hacked firmware was faulty with streaming, although I don't think they meant multicast and I haven't noticed the problems they described (Netflix issues, etc).

It will be interesting to see what Origin do for my connection as surely they have to send me a new router before I move over as "technically" I'm supposed to be still on the Cellpipe.

What do TalkTalk, PlusNet, etc provide for VDSL connections?

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - fibretyke - 30-03-2014 09:02 AM

(28-03-2014 09:31 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  What do TalkTalk, PlusNet, etc provide for VDSL connections?
It's over two years since I was with PN fibre, and in those days they provided a cheap router to use in conjunction with the OR modem or let you use your own. They may use a combined modem/router these days, as BT and TT do.

Less than 48 hours since I switched back to the ECI modem and my latency has now returned to normal - I can see it stepping down during the night. So for anyone planning to use an OR modem, there may may be an argument for pairing the manufacturer with the cabinet. But in my particular case, it's been about stability rather than speed - the HG612 was actually faster.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 30-03-2014 04:06 PM

yeh, but alex will want speed Tongue

but i agree stability is better than having constant dropouts

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - fibretyke - 30-03-2014 07:26 PM

Neither was prone to dropouts, but the HG612 seems to be more susceptible to noise issues or just reports more errors, as was evident from the massive interleave depth it caused me. Then there was the multicasting issue - almost like it was wasting bandwidth, which I can't afford on my line.

Alex ought to have no bother syncing above 80/20 on his line whatever modem he uses (the jammy git), but if he gets interleaving applied I would suggest to investigate the brand of cab and if it's ECI, try one of their modems.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 31-03-2014 08:50 PM

I think when I looked it matched the description of an ECI cabinet and a friend of mine on Sky was initially given the ECI box to go with it.

I would be VERY surprised if it had problems on the line though considering the quality it has shown. I would certainly be worried if it syncs lower than the maximum DLM allows.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - fibretyke - 11-04-2014 07:54 PM

Just to follow up, I was unfair in my criticism of the HG612s performance on my line. I've now modded my wiring to eliminate electrical interference (moved the master socket so that it's right next to where the line enters the house). I also mounted the modem a little distance away from the power socket to make sure it's not affected by PSU noise. At the end of the 3rd day on this new setup, DLM both increased the sync rate a few meg and put me on fastpath! I've never had fastpath on this line before, even with DR. Big GrinNot a bad result from simply taking a few metres of CAT5 internal wiring away.

So there's absolutely nothing wrong with combining a Huawei modem with an ECI DSLAM, provided you have a clean installation.

I've also found a solution to the IPTV issues I had - by turning 'IGMP Snooping' on in the GUI settings.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 11-04-2014 09:20 PM

Excellent news and thanks for letting us know.

Are you using it still in modem mode? If so that is interesting as I would think IGMP snooping is only relevant if running in router mode where all it actually is meant to do is ensure that if LAN1 has a client multicast streaming then the data is not sent to LAN2, normally its sent to everyone.