Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - SpencerUk - 15-05-2012 10:28 AM

Quite amusing how one provider is moving towards FTTC Self Install and one Digital Region is moving to total lock down.

As I've said before, this network would be better ran by the South Yorkshire community of users and not monkey politicians and government officials.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 15-05-2012 10:57 AM

That's where they always confuse the difference between nationalisation and privatisation.

Its assumed that the former means the councils run it really badly, when it should mean that the PEOPLE run it really effectively. Sadly it means we end up with the latter which pretty much always means a very poor deal for the end users and no say whatsoever in how its run.

Digital Region really are a world of their own though. Yorkshire Cable used to say you couldn't run servers and couldn't use a router on their service, but I do not believe they ever threatened their customers for doing so. Like every ISP I have ever known, its something they do not encourage, tell you NOT to do, but in reality they don't really care that much as long as you are not impacting the service of other customers. A successful business should be worrying first and foremost about getting new customers, not pissing off the ones they already have.

I have had my own router sharing the Internet since the early days when I used PlusNet dialup, its how I started using Linux. My goodness, NAT used to be called experimental in the kernel back then - now its running almost every CPE router out there. So for some supposedly forward thinking network to tell me I can't use my own hardware is somewhat offensive to me.

As you saw from an earlier post, I even had the line stats on my Intranet home page, so I can see at a glance if any Internet problems are caused by an unusually low SNRM or if the sync is lower than it should be. It helps to catch issues before they become a problem. The fact Origin were unable to even tell me what speed I was synced at made me want to do this, the fact they didn't know if interleaving was on my line and CERTAINLY thought I was back on the 8 profile on 17a. So why are Digital Region so surprised? What good is the Max Trial going to be if I CAN'T report these things back to Origin?

Its the fact that your ISP has no access to the important information for getting the most out of your line and we have no contact with the NOC. If I could actually call them up and discuess these things with someone who had access, I might not have bothered. But its been bugging me for months that I knew nothing about how my line profile was set when it was hugely relevant to my latency and how my line would perform on Origin Max. With an "as fast as you can go" service you absolutely NEED access to this information, to know if its working properly. They expect me to pay an extra £10/month and NOT make sure that I am getting what I am paying for?

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 15-05-2012 12:08 PM

this was one of the issues I had when I was Ripwire - they never knew what was happening with the connection and had to rely on thales for information and thus making it harder to diagnose fault and in my view the reason why they constantly blamed my equipment

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Bald_Eagle1 - 15-05-2012 12:34 PM

(07-05-2012 01:00 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  Instructions removed as Digital Region have threatened to terminate the connection of anyone doing this!

That's a shame otherwise you could have drooled over your own graphs for your connections:-

[Image: aalU8Fjy.jpg]

[Image: aaqM4X0a.jpg]

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - LeJimster - 15-05-2012 12:50 PM

@Bald_Eagle1 - I've got the settings burned into my mind, so I don't care what DR say.. If I decide to move over to their network, i'll do things my way. Tongue

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - SpencerUk - 15-05-2012 12:58 PM

@Bald_Eagle1

Welcome to the forum.

@LeJimster

I've called Digital Regions bluff and I'm still using it. I very much doubt they have the balls (ISP's included) to do such a thing. The amount of negative press it would get would put too much pressure on Digital Region..Not to mention put potential bidders off the network.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - LeJimster - 15-05-2012 01:08 PM

@SpencerUk I was thinking about the absurdity of it all the other night. And what if you're a business customer and internet connectivity and speed were vital to you. You'd likely go for a load balanced router that could handle 2xVDSL2+ lines or a VDSL2+ADSL2 backup.. Well thats not going to work very well if you have to rely on a Zyxel or Cellpipe. Like others have said even BT allow people to run their own hardware if they wish.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - KarlAustin - 15-05-2012 01:21 PM

Cellpipe is just a modem, so wouldn't affect the load balancing using a router SmileMost business grade routers will have ethernet WAN ports rather than fixed WAN interfaces for DSL etc.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 15-05-2012 01:43 PM

Indeed, the Cellpipe is more designed around business use - because a business do not want to have to configure things they want it to be plug and play.

But promoting Digital Region as a high-tech network and then preventing high-tech people from doing what they do, is pretty stupid.

We are the people they need to sell the network, instead they are making it REALLY hard to recommend them. Like the time and cost of connecting isn't enough of a deterrent. I had hoped for so much more from this network but piss ups and breweries spring to mind.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Sadamski - 15-05-2012 02:32 PM

(15-05-2012 10:57 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  That's where they always confuse the difference between nationalisation and privatisation.

Its assumed that the former means the councils run it really badly, when it should mean that the PEOPLE run it really effectively. ....

Cough, Just call it "Big Society" :-)