Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - fibretyke - 11-04-2014 09:59 PM

(11-04-2014 09:20 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Excellent news and thanks for letting us know.

Are you using it still in modem mode? If so that is interesting as I would think IGMP snooping is only relevant if running in router mode where all it actually is meant to do is ensure that if LAN1 has a client multicast streaming then the data is not sent to LAN2, normally its sent to everyone.
I don't really understand what the problem was, but the channels were breaking up and the router traffic was showing double the normal bandwidth. From what you're saying, that may have been because I had the LAN2 side plugged into a spare router port, and the multicast was sending two streams (one via each port)? Haven't got it in router mode, I'm on the out-of-the-box settings except for IGMP enabled and an IP address change on LAN2 to avoid conflict with the router.

It now shows the normal bandwidth via my traffic monitor (about 1MB/s for a HD channel) and everything is behaving itself, but whether I've actually fixed anything or not, I don't know. I'll see how it goes. The only other thing I've done since the probs is flashed the HG612 again to get the GUI back (first time I updated it I used the telnet only version).

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 12-04-2014 06:08 PM

Its totally possible that IGMP is enabled on both LAN ports.

That is curious though as it suggests that the cabinet may be sending the multicast stream over the remote access PTM rather than the Internet PTM, as the latter is supposed to be bound to LAN1 only - which is why you cannot access the HG612 web interface from LAN1.

It would kinda make sense though, as surely the remote access has top priority so that even if the Internet is completely maxing out they can get in and fiddle with the HG612 settings or force a reboot.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 13-04-2014 11:17 PM

shouldn't worry too much about the differences, as it will fluctuate especially if you have the tv services.

according to my connection my max should be 69, but as can see on the download i'm hitting 73

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 14-04-2014 02:56 PM

The problem with speed tests is some seem to compensate for the overhead in their result, others do not.

For example my friends cable connection has a line speed of 112.64Mbit (I believe he is on a 100Mbit package) but it clocks just slightly higher than my DR connection at around 12MB/s real-world speed. Strangely, downloading a test file from thinkbroadband our connections actually seem neck and neck for download even though I have less downstream.

Your result above is even more puzzling as it should be completely impossible to do higher than the IP profile, as the whole point of the IP profile is to throttle your connection so you never have quite as much traffic as your maximum downstream capability.

As for my connection, BT do predict I should get the full 80/20 but then I should bloody well hope so.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 14-04-2014 07:23 PM

but that's the good thing with BT, if streaming you speed will be temporarily lowered to not affect the stream, it can also still be set lower for a short period afterwards even though you may get better speeds

attached is today's test - now if was still on DR this wouldn't happen as they set you to a set speed

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 14-04-2014 09:41 PM

Yeah but when that speed is 100Mbit, BT can't compete with that, I wish they would. :-P

If what you say is true then it may mean that test is reporting the speed to the cabinet and ignoring the IP profile entirely.
That would make sense as presumably the IP profile is applied further upstream, as its designed so that there is never more traffic coming to the cabinet destined for your line than what your line can handle. You don't want packets to have to be dropped at the cabinet as it would be a huge waste of backhaul bandwidth.

So presumably, when multicasting it reduces the IP profile by an amount it "thinks" you will be using to keep things in balance.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 14-04-2014 10:41 PM

i think the minute you start using any part of the youview services, multicasting or ondemand it changes your profile to ensure the video stream is un-affected

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 15-04-2014 04:47 PM

I wonder how intelligent it is about it though? Can it tell how many channels you are currently subscribed to and adjust the profile accordingly?