Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 15-05-2012 06:03 PM

(15-05-2012 12:34 PM)Bald_Eagle1 Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 01:00 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  Instructions removed as Digital Region have threatened to terminate the connection of anyone doing this!

That's a shame otherwise you could have drooled over your own graphs for your connections:-

[Image: aalU8Fjy.jpg]

[Image: aaqM4X0a.jpg]

I would have had some graphs but I couldn't find the scripts, just lots of people talking about them. Grrrr.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Bald_Eagle1 - 16-05-2012 12:59 AM

(15-05-2012 06:03 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  I would have had some graphs but I couldn't find the scripts, just lots of people talking about them. Grrrr.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10552.0.html

Apparently the Cellpipe is more or less identical to the HG612, so may be possible to easily unlock?

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - LeJimster - 16-05-2012 03:39 AM

Essentially the same hardware different firmware. There are many BCM6368 VDSL2+ routers out there, which are the reference for Alcatel Lucent DSLAM's it seems. The other option is the Infineon chipset which is recommended for the other main competitors DSLAMS.. Forget the providers name.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 16-05-2012 10:22 AM

Rang Digital Region because I think the whole thing has gotten out of hand, they confirmed the "threat" would have come from Thales as Digital Region themselves have no part in the network management.

I get that as Thales are contracted to do the network stuff that Digital Region have to take responsibility for their actions. But spammer twitter with links to the forum with the sole purpose of putting off new customers? Who is that going to help?

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - SpencerUk - 16-05-2012 10:34 AM

(16-05-2012 10:22 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  Rang Digital Region because I think the whole thing has gotten out of hand, they confirmed the "threat" would have come from Thales as Digital Region themselves have no part in the network management.

I get that as Thales are contracted to do the network stuff that Digital Region have to take responsibility for their actions. But spammer twitter with links to the forum with the sole purpose of putting off new customers? Who is that going to help?

Digital Region gave the contract to..you guessed it, Thales to manage the network. Think of Thales like an agent and Digital Region being its manager. Manager has to take responsibility and it doesn't.

I do not believe that Digital Region gives a fair reflection on its network and how users are treated and all I'm doing and will continue to do, is point out the other sides of that story.

Lets face it,

People moving off Digital Region find it hard because tags don't get removed.

Incorrect case studies from Digital Region are on their own site.

Failure to keep any RiPWiRE customers in the know.

Coupled with other personal issues I have with Digital Region, as far as I'm concerned its more ammo to fire.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 16-05-2012 11:01 AM

That's your choice I suppose, as long as they are aware I do not endorse it then fair enough.

I really do NOT want Digital Region to fail, but they seem to be doing little to help themselves.

Ah well, at least I might find out EXACTLY what was going on between Origin and Thales. Woman from Digital Region is meant to be getting touch with Oliver to find out what the score was.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - SpencerUk - 16-05-2012 11:47 AM

The ideal situation is Thales to come out themselves and explain but they will be too afraid of that and insist on pussy footing about!.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - aceado - 16-05-2012 02:19 PM

(16-05-2012 11:47 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  The ideal situation is Thales to come out themselves and explain but they will be too afraid of that and insist on pussy footing ™ about!.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Chalky - 16-05-2012 03:53 PM

(16-05-2012 11:47 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  The ideal situation is Thales to come out themselves and explain but they will be too afraid of that and insist on pussy footing about!.

I think there's more chance of this happening:

[Image: Flying_Pig.jpg]

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 16-05-2012 04:35 PM

(16-05-2012 12:59 AM)Bald_Eagle1 Wrote:  
(15-05-2012 06:03 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  I would have had some graphs but I couldn't find the scripts, just lots of people talking about them. Grrrr.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10552.0.html

Apparently the Cellpipe is more or less identical to the HG612, so may be possible to easily unlock?

Where are the original Linux scripts as I STILL can't find them?

I want to keep them on hand in case pigs DO fly and Thales actually back down and agree to let me use the DG612 after all. (yeah I know, fat chance)

(16-05-2012 11:47 AM)SpencerUk Wrote:  The ideal situation is Thales to come out themselves and explain but they will be too afraid of that and insist on pussy footing about!.

No callback from DR yet, although I'm not sure what will come of it anyway.

I certainly am going to make it a point to complain about how Thales have dealt with this.

I didn't hack their network, I didn't modify their hardware in any way, I did some simple detective work to figure out the settings. If that is enough to panic them over security then god forbid what will happen when someone actually DOES try to hack the network.

All I wanted was:

a) I want to know that if I pay £10/month more for my connection that I AM getting the maximum my line can handle, not something less. Talking to Origin its been clear from the start that Thales do not give them the information they would need to reassure me of this.

They didn't know Thales applied interleaving to my line, that I WAS already on profile 17a, or that the speed cap was applied at the DSLAM by capping the maximum sync speed. All things I found out within seconds of plugging in the DG612, things which are useful for Origin to know to improve their customers connections especially for the Max trial.

b) I wanted to know why people on Infinity have lower latency than me.

c) I want to be able to poll the sync speed so I can use QoS on my router. If you do not know the current connections bandwidth capability, you either throttle too high (effectively not doing any QoS at all) or too low (you get a lesser service than necessary).

All the above are things I should have a right to know and have been able to find out on EVERY ISP I have ever used. They are things I NEED to know to get the best out the connection.

I will stick the Cellpipe now I know I have no choice, but it doesn't mean I'm going to stop complaining about it.

Why not have SNMP or a mini web server on ethernet port 4 of the Cellpipe? How is that too much to ask?