Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - LeJimster - 01-08-2012 12:32 AM

I gave up trying to find a good Chinese VDSL2 router. The usual international sellers don't seem to want to export like you say. I have a friend who lives in Shanghai, I did think about asking him to send me a router, but I don't want to impose on him and I couldn't find a good device that had English firmware anyway. As it is I'm fairly happy with the HG612 for the price I got it at.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - vit0 - 27-04-2013 03:45 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to access the LAN management of the HG612 on interface 1 via a 802.1q VLAN?

I've got a single cat5e link between interface 1 on the HG612 and my MikroTik router, so if I want to access the HG612 at present I have to plug a second cable into interface 2 on the HG612. The HG612 and MikroTik are in separate rooms so ideally I don't want to run another cable.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 28-04-2013 10:41 PM

I don't think anyone has ever really looked into it in depth as it means being without a connection while you work on it.

Theoretically I would think it should be possible, but if the HG612 GUI gives you access to the right options to do it I'm not sure. AFAIK once you setup a PTM and tag it to a port then ONLY traffic from that connection is passed over.

I highly suspect you could override it from the command line but that might require doing manually over telnet every time the HG612 is rebooted, maybe even after every resync.

I would certainly be interested to know if you figure it out as it could be very useful.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - bilbodr - 27-02-2014 10:14 PM

hello, has anyone got any further with this?

"How to access the GUI/telnet using just a single ethernet cable:
This did not work as planned so its still in the "to look into" category.?

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - WillPS - 27-02-2014 10:51 PM

I'd say with 5 months to go until we all say goodbye to DR, it's unlikely to happen.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - fibretyke - 28-02-2014 08:46 PM

All I did when I got mine was assign it a fixed IP address on my home LAN and use a second cable to hook it into the router. So LAN 1 goes to the WAN port of the router and LAN 2 goes to the switch. This way I can log into it over WiFi or from any PC on the network.

Not a big deal anymore, as already mentioned.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - john22rob - 28-02-2014 11:50 PM

(28-02-2014 08:46 PM)fibretyke Wrote:  All I did when I got mine was assign it a fixed IP address on my home LAN and use a second cable to hook it into the router. So LAN 1 goes to the WAN port of the router and LAN 2 goes to the switch. This way I can log into it over WiFi or from any PC on the network.

Not a big deal anymore, as already mentioned.

this is how i have mine. 2 ethernets, port 1 of HG612 goes to Wan port of router and port 2 of HG612 to either one of the 4 lans on the router. Works a treat and i can access the hg wirelessly

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 04-03-2014 07:54 PM

(27-02-2014 10:51 PM)WillPS Wrote:  I'd say with 5 months to go until we all say goodbye to DR, it's unlikely to happen.

Well, its not like I am going to stop using it when I am on BT infrastructure but I will have to be more careful to stop them changing it remotely.

Bottom line, it was too much hassle to look into changing the networking for this as it would require a firmware modification.

I used adapters to put both ports down a single CAT 6 cable then split them back into two at the other end. It doesn't reduce the port usage but does the cable clutter.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 04-03-2014 09:10 PM

(04-03-2014 07:54 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 10:51 PM)WillPS Wrote:  I'd say with 5 months to go until we all say goodbye to DR, it's unlikely to happen.

Well, its not like I am going to stop using it when I am on BT infrastructure but I will have to be more careful to stop them changing it remotely.

Bottom line, it was too much hassle to look into changing the networking for this as it would require a firmware modification.

I used adapters to put both ports down a single CAT 6 cable then split them back into two at the other end. It doesn't reduce the port usage but does the cable clutter.

BT have never made changes to my modded HG612

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 07-03-2014 11:02 PM

(04-03-2014 09:10 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  BT have never made changes to my modded HG612

Are you sure? Plenty of reports on Kitz of people being upgraded to the latest firmware that removed the web interface entirely, but telnet may still work depending on which way the wind was blowing at the time.

Anyway I have just upgraded to the experimental modified version of the latest BT firmware with the web interface put back in and the BTAgent removed. I haven't tried changing anything from the web interface (don't really need to) but otherwise it seems to be working fine.

[Image: 2014-03-07_btagent.png]