Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 29-05-2012 09:24 PM

Its interesting that I have such a disappointing upstream max but an insane downstream, yet people further away seem to get better upstream but poorer downstream.

I wonder if this is an issue with the profile needing the power/gain tweaking or an actual issue with my line?

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 29-05-2012 09:27 PM

i was actually surprised to see what my max download was - would have been nice to see it higher - but as i'm getting good speeds i'm quite happy - also did you notice the Inp and Delay are both set to 0 on my connection unlike yours of 2 and 8

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - tekmobile - 29-05-2012 10:24 PM

(29-05-2012 09:24 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Its interesting that I have such a disappointing upstream max but an insane downstream, yet people further away seem to get better upstream but poorer downstream.

I wonder if this is an issue with the profile needing the power/gain tweaking or an actual issue with my line?

Same here I contacted LBO to see I'd this could be improved and all I got was about half a meg reduction in download lol upload pretty muched remained the same and got about 4ms higher pings lol not really what I call an improvement going to ask see if they can turn interleaving off

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 29-05-2012 11:03 PM

(29-05-2012 09:27 PM)mirdragon Wrote:  i was actually surprised to see what my max download was - would have been nice to see it higher - but as i'm getting good speeds i'm quite happy - also did you notice the Inp and Delay are both set to 0 on my connection unlike yours of 2 and 8

But what ISP are you with?

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - mirdragon - 29-05-2012 11:38 PM

BT - also did u check out the link regarding the info on the modem

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - prichardson - 31-05-2012 12:15 PM

I'm going to give the Technicolor TG789v2 a trial on the network tonight, both on the built in VDSL modem and then at some point the Ethernet WAN.

I have also been given a TG789v3 as well, not even in general production yet, but have had it nabbed from my hands already. I will get that on the go at some point as well.

The 789 is a mid-range business unit and has some switch stuff including VoIP, and POTS pass-through so it can act as an entry VoIP/PSTN PBX.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - littlegreengeek - 02-06-2012 08:59 PM

Just won one of these on ebay. Not too fussed about the stats side but it's smaller than my Cellpipe and will look better on the wall.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - SpencerUk - 02-06-2012 09:21 PM

@littlegreengeek

I hear that!
It is an eye sore isn't it!.

Reminds me of the Orange Livebox back in the day

[Image: 416517158_2b801cac6f.jpg]

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - LeJimster - 02-06-2012 10:42 PM

I like all the work that has gone into making the Huawei useable. But the hardware inside is what counts and there is very little difference between whats in a cellpipe and the huawei. The exception being that I noticed Alex's latency was slightly higher using the HG612. Nothing earth shattering, but I thought it was odd.

RE: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - alexatkin - 03-06-2012 02:56 AM

Yes I thought that was odd too. I can only assume its a setting somewhere or something compiled into the firmware that the Cellpipe lacks.

Still, when you consider the fact I can shave 16ms off by getting interleaving turned off, a 1-2ms higher latency even "I" would consider irrelevant. Especially when you consider that with the Cellpipe I wouldn't have known for sure it WAS interleaving that caused the higher latency and I wouldn't be able to keep on eye on the line stats to ensure turning it off would be stable. So its a very small price to pay.

What I would like to see is some custom versions of the HG612 firmware, seeing as the firmware source code is available. It may be that a few kernel tweaks could allow it to outpace the Cellpipe. Plus of course latency is not the whole picture, as the HG612 seems to handle my upload speed more reliably than the Cellpipe did.