Digital Region Community Support Forum
Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe - Printable Version

+- Digital Region Community Support Forum (https://drlforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: ISP Forum & Digital Region Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Digital Region General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Using the Huawei HG612 on Digital Region instead of the Cellpipe (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - alexatkin - 09-05-2012 08:03 PM

Yes it was in bridge mode by default, as Infinity effectively uses is the same way as Digital Region do - minus the options for VoIP and IPTV on dedicated ethernet ports.

The problem (I think) is that Digital Region use VLAN tagging and there is no way for me to know which VLAN ID to use. It clearly isn't 101 like Infinity as no traffic would come in on that setting. Turning WAN VLAN off shows traffic going both ways, but nothing is passing across the bridge because nothing is destined for my network.

While I suppose I COULD try all 4000+ VLAN IDs, its going to take some time if I do that as I can only do it while nobody else is using the connection and the web interface for the HG612 seems to get super laggy if I change the settings too often.

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - Djandy_2001 - 09-05-2012 08:44 PM

I think that the VLAN ID will determine which ISP the data goes to and using PPPoE to Authenticate.

I wish to find the line stats for my connection also, looks like getting the HG612 is the way to go.

(09-05-2012 08:03 PM)alexatkin Wrote:  Yes it was in bridge mode by default, as Infinity effectively uses is the same way as Digital Region do - minus the options for VoIP and IPTV on dedicated ethernet ports.

The problem (I think) is that Digital Region use VLAN tagging and there is no way for me to know which VLAN ID to use. It clearly isn't 101 like Infinity as no traffic would come in on that setting. Turning WAN VLAN off shows traffic going both ways, but nothing is passing across the bridge because nothing is destined for my network.

While I suppose I COULD try all 4000+ VLAN IDs, its going to take some time if I do that as I can only do it while nobody else is using the connection and the web interface for the HG612 seems to get super laggy if I change the settings too often.

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - LeJimster - 09-05-2012 10:39 PM

*shakes head* nothing ever seems to be straight forward! lol. If you've got to go through 4000+ combinations might take you a few months :-p

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - alexatkin - 10-05-2012 12:32 AM

@LeJimster
@SpencerUk

REMOVED

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - LeJimster - 10-05-2012 12:37 AM

^_^ so are you connected to Origin with your HG612 now?? =) - Just curious to see some download and latency stats. Probably won't be much different. But you never know!

Lol, at this point it looks like you know more about whats going on with your connection than Origin does ;-).

BTW, any idea whats stopping you from moving to the Max trial? You've got the perfect line to test it, 2 bits of hardware ready to go on the line Cellpipe & Huawei, plus anything extra Origin would like to test..

Seems like progress on this network is slow as molasses.. And while if you get everything setup properly I have no doubt it will be a kick ass connection, it does worry me looking from the outside in.

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - alexatkin - 10-05-2012 01:07 AM

It wouldn't be hard, Thales aren't exactly forthcoming with information.

There still may be unforseen problems with my setup, for example I have 802.1P turned off.

First impressions, no proof but things seem to load smoother and speedtest.net seems to be consistently giving me a decent reading for upload speed:
[Image: 1941973833.png]
if you recall I usually get readings more like:
[Image: 1915928482.png]

jDast on the other hand is more or less the same, 1ms higher ping but its normal for ping to vary a little bit from day to day anyway.

Hmmm, my ping graph seems to be showing slightly higher latency but I'm not going to panic over a couple of ms when the REAL issue here is TURN THE BLOODY INTERLEAVING DOWN OR OFF!

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - LeJimster - 10-05-2012 01:15 AM

Good luck getting the interleaving turned off. This is the only thing I want to see proof of before I switch. If it *can't* be proven to me that Origin have the capability to request the change or make it themselves I ain't ever going to join. That simple change would transform the way I view DR and will put it ahead of it's competitors BT who have no problem deploying fast path to capable lines.

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - alexatkin - 10-05-2012 01:25 AM

Indeed, it was always going to be DLM where Thales fell down as they simply do not have any. With all changes being manually done by a human being, I expected them to do exactly that they did.

Still though, 8ms delay on both upstream and downstream on a short line, mental.

Now its on my super-short CAT5e hard-wired to RJ11 cable it seems to be even more optimistic about my potential downstream sync speed:
Was
Max: Upstream rate = 24064 Kbps, Downstream rate = 126768 Kbps
Now:
Max: Upstream rate = 23400 Kbps, Downstream rate = 128288 Kbps

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - pob - 10-05-2012 11:51 AM

I've got a HG612 coming to me next week. I'll report back my findings on my Ask4 connection, approx 500m from the cabinet.

RE: Huawei HG612 on Digital Region - SpencerUk - 10-05-2012 07:01 PM

(10-05-2012 12:32 AM)alexatkin Wrote:  @LeJimster
@SpencerUk

LOL CRACKED IT!

It was SOOOO simple.

I figured "hang on, there aren't that many providers on Digital Region so maybe they are just numbered sequential?".

So I ran the following on the HG612:
Code:
VLAN=2
while [ "$VLAN" -lt 50 ]
do
  vconfig add ptm1 $VLAN
  ifconfig ptm1.$VLAN up
  VLAN=$((VLAN + 1))
done

I then just ran "ifconfig" and looked to see which VLAN had incoming data. Behold, Origin is VLAN 10.

I would have loved to have seen that smile on your face this morning!

(10-05-2012 11:51 AM)pob Wrote:  I've got a HG612 coming to me next week. I'll report back my findings on my Ask4 connection, approx 500m from the cabinet.

At this rate the whole forum will have Openreach modems lol